Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Helvellyn-ish route advice
  • parkedtiger
    Free Member

Has anyone ever descended north off Clough Head:

I’m guessing it’s the ascent the paragliders normally take. Is it easy to pick up the head of the trail down from the trig point ?

lowey

Thats called “Fishers Wife’s Rake” and is VERY steep. Only ever walked up it, but wouldnt imagine that I’d like to bike down it TBH.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Cheers Lowey – I was looking at it from below last night and it did look a bit mad – I’ll leave it then 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Without knowing the terrain, I’d choose to go more northwards and pick up the Old Coach Road for a brilliant helter-skelter downhill to St. John’s-i-t-v. I’d aim to meet it at the first grid line to the west of “Old” on the map above ie the highest point. The surface is v coarse gravel, so you can get up great speed but then risk losing control as you start to drift :o)

skolt
    Free Member

Fisher wifes rake is a short way south – goes up from above bram crag quarry – yes very steep! This path marked blue is OK apart from section between Threlkeld Knott and Clough. Steep scree. Can be done up and down on a trials bike (with engine) – so should be OK going down on a mountain bike. Won’t be easy to find the top of the path in mist.
    The run off from Great Dodd over towards wolf crags and the east end of the coach road is good.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Cheers chaps – that was one worry…picking up the top of the descent when it’s covered in cloud. I might walk it with the mutt from Threlkeld at some point (before I ride it); see what it’s like.

Can be done up and down on a trials bike (with engine

!!! I take it you mean ‘I’ve done it up and down on a trials bike’ Skolt 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn-ish route advice’ is closed to new replies.