Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • helvellyn here we come!
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

off to Helvellyn tomorrow with a old school buddy, ive not been before, any tips or things to watch out for, things to recommended etc ? we both riding alpines so if your up there say hi! 😛

br
    Free Member

Do something else…

tbh while it is the highest B/W, its a long slog up (esp. Dollywagon which is a severe push).

If that side of the Lakes I’d look at High Street and the ridge running north myself.

goatster
    Free Member

We were up there a couple of fridays ago. Go up the zig zags past the glennridding youth hostel, up to raise, turn left up to the top and down Dollywagon.

But check out the raise webcam to see what the snow is like:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/

We turned back from near the top of Raise a couple of weeks ago in a blizzard.

Will post a pic of my phone in a min.

T

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

see if this works:

nope, what is it?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Do something else?

2 words:
    Sticks Pass

Oh yes….

hora
    Free Member

Go down Sticks Pass it was ace! Although tbh being a big girl I’d probably ride the highest parts of the Lakes when the weathers better 8)

goatster
    Free Member

Should have been a link to a picture…

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

looks snowy up there! ok cheers guy thx for the info 🙂

goatster
    Free Member

goatster
    Free Member

Above was 30th December.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I rode it last winter when there was 6 inches of snow from about 2000ft upwards. It was still ace. My route is from Wythburn up between Dollywagon and Helvellyn, left onto the summit, down to Raise, up Raise and down again to Sticks Pass, left down Sticks and back.

Helvellyn seems to get a bad press on here for some reason, but it’s a great ride if you don’t mind a bit of pushing. Which you don’t or you wouldn’t be going up mountains in the Lakes.

If there’s no snow you can pedal onto the summit to cheers from the American/Japanese tourists and get your picture taken! What’s not to like?

goatster
    Free Member

How do you get back from Glenridding?
    T

grum
    Free Member

Hellvelyn is fun – much better than High Street which is mostly a bog imo.

Going up through the mines then the zig zags is surprisingly easy (pushing) and Dollywagon/Grisedale is amazing hurty fun.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Lots of different routes up and down – we’re Thirlmere side and tend to go up and over Sticks to Glenridding and back to Keswick via the Coach Road, or up Sticks, Raise, Lower Man and up to the Summit, then down to the church at Wythop.

Current forecast is good for Saturday and there’s not really any snow to speak of on any of the tops here (Skiddaw, Grisedale, Blencathra, etc). Not sure about Helvellyn though. Have fun.

EDIT – sorry Paul…just realised I suggested the reverse of your favourite route there 😀

elliptic
    Free Member

Today’s picture on Lakes Weatherline showing Swirral Edge and the shady east-facing headwall above Red Tarn :-

Go for it, forecast looks like it’ll be a lovely day 🙂

goatster
    Free Member

Looks stunning, Off to france tomoz so no Helvellyn today:(

senorj

If it’s clear and cold it’ll be lovely.

Sanny
    Free Member

Just do it. Ace forecast and that is hee haw snow.

I have to agree with paulrockcliffe. It’s a fun route if you don’t mind a bit of pushing near the top. It’s a day up a mountain with a bike. That’s got to be a good thing.

Pook

what’s hee haw snow? (serious question!)

willfaz
    Free Member

so which is the best descent for both sides? I’m going up there for a week in April and staying at the north western side of Helvellyn. (st johns in the vale).

Best way down for west and east?

chakaping
    Free Member

I can imagine it being easier in the snow, filling in some of those awkward holes on the Dollywagon switchbacks.

Have fun, I’m jealous!

Horse
    Free Member

Riding tomorrow, High Street… frozen and fun or just cold and minging?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

A group of us did it today,I like to park near the Lakeshore to Maximise the downhill 🙂

Brutts moss via Dockray is frozen at the moment,its normally a bog so the climb up onto Great Dodd is a bit easier,theres not too much ice about and all the downhills are very fast.

You could climb via Keppel cove,(Greenside mine) although I prefer Brutts moss unless its an evening ride.

you have a few options via routes..

Techy descent via Dollywagon to Grisedale valley to Patterdale

More flowey via Sticks Pass to Greenside mine steeper and harder lower down..

Fast,can be icey, and busy with walkers Keppel Cove to Greenside mine

An orange alpine is an exellent choice,big 2.2 to 2.4 dual ply tyres are the way to go,take plenty of warm gear,tubes and armour its a brilliant mountain to ride on..enjoy.

Horse,High street will be ok tommorrow but it will have a lot of ice on the flatter bits..

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Brutts Moss today…

hora
    Free Member

Brutts Moss? That’s the way pook took us up- it was boggy then 😀

whatnobeer
    Free Member

what’s hee haw snow? (serious question!)

Hee haw means no or nothing etc

So hee haw snow means there’s no snow.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘helvellyn here we come!’ is closed to new replies.