Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Helsinki – September to December
  • nedrapier

Cheers Hans, Pigface,

So far, it’s only the Haaga-ish one that’s got back to me, so currently it’s that one by default! She’s also said it’s available for the whole 3 months if I want. The Lautasaari one is pretty small, tricky if wife comes to stay (bed is a “bachelor’s occasional”) even trickier if anyone else comes out.

Hans, thanks for your comments, really helpful. By “superheated” do you mean really hot? As in temperature?

nedrapier

There is also this one,

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1125179

Lovely apartment in what’s apparently a nice area, (?) but I think it’s too small really, and not sure about bike security – there’s a bike place in the building to store it, apparently, but I’d be happier if it was in the flat – not really room in here, and it’s on the 5th floor.

HansRey

yep, just really hot. They build houses really well insulated here! I asked my gf about where she’d go, and she immediately said Kallio. Lots to do and see around there.

The https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1125179 appartment is near Kallio. Good bus and metro links, and close to the best food market in Helsinki (not much to brag about, though). Why not keep your bike on a tarp or in the bathroom?

Pigface
    Free Member

I think Finland is one of the most honest places I have ever been. there was a decent mobile phone on a bench in the reception hall in our department at Uni and it was claimed after 3 days. Nobody took it, my mate lost his wallet in a bar and it was handed into the Joensuu police station. Bike should be safe, with usual precautions.

Where is the food market HansRey? I am in Helsinki end of September.

Houses are crazy hot, well to hot for me, the old CHP works very well there.

nedrapier

I figured that it wouldn’t be the done thing to put the bike in the lift, and wouldn’t fancy the stairs to the 5th floor! there’s only

So I’ve got a choice between this place for 3 months if I want, the Haaga-ish place for all 3 months, or the Kallio place only available for the first month. Others aren’t available.

This appeals to be honest, a decent bike ride every day, seeing autumn got to winter

The amazing thing about Finland is that the light changes as the seasons do. I hope you see that.

But then you can go biking anywhere, I’ve got trails on my doorstep at the moment.

arg! choices, choices!

nedrapier

Houses are crazy hot

I think the Kallio place is out then! I hate sleeping in a hot room. And the bed’s in the roof – hot air will stay up there even with window open.

So if I was going to split my time – centre in September and move out later, or start out and move in?

Starting in the centre and moving out when it’s colder, wetter and darker sounds a bit odd. So Haaga for one month then move in, or Punavuori for 3 months…? Hmmm.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ned one thing I should point out is that modern apartment buildings in Finland aren’t the most showy affairs from the outside at least. Parts of Helsinki can look a little harsh, I was thinking this when travelling on a tram last year.

Where ever you decide to live you will have a good time. I guarantee it 😆

nedrapier
    nedrapier

Cheers, Pigface!

Talking of harsh things, typing “Pigface” always stops me for a wee moment!

HansRey

Punavuori is nice, too. I used to live there and I enjoyed it. If you’re bringing a car then get a permit and check if a clothes washing machine is included in the rental (or if there is a communal machine).

It was the old redlight district of Helsinki (today, it is Kallio). Lots of nice bars and restaurants, as well as some cheaper joints down Iso Robertinkatu. The BrewDog bar is closeby as well as one of the best beer pubs in Helsinki, The Black Door.

nedrapier

HansRey

Pigface – It’s the Hakaniemen kauppahalli, or Hakaniemi Market hall. It’ll be pricy, but better stocked than the two Finnish supermarket chains.

Are you over for work or pleasure? If you don’t mind me asking…

http://www.hakaniemenkauppahalli.fi/

Pigface
    Free Member

Not at all, going to watch Jokipojat in Joensuu, they are back in Mestis so have to support them.

Two nights in Helsinki each side of traveling to Joensuu, will see some friends as well.

Back in Feb to watch a couple of SM Liga games but we haven’t sorted that out yet.

nedrapier

Entered my first ‘cross race!

VPCX thing at Tuulisaari Park Sunday week.

And I’ve just found out the highest climbing wall in the Nordics is just round the corner from my office. Happy days.

Cheers for the Punavouri hints, Hans. We’ll have to hook up for a beer at some point. If my plans to ride the long way to work actually happen, (14km v 2.5km) I’ll be coming through Mounkivouri most days.

Pigface
    Free Member

You enjoying it Ned?

nedrapier

Not there yet! Still in leafy surrey. One more day at work, ssuk, then off!

HansRey

the climbing centre (http://www.kiipeilyareena.com/) at Salmisaari is great. A little expensive but worth the cash. There are other bouldering centres dotted about which are very popular. Before being allowed to climb at SS, you may need to demonstrate that you have the correct skills and understanding to belay, etc. Quite normal stuff.

Yep, send me a message (mail in profile) if you fancy a beer or something. There’s only one bar in Munkkivuori (a räkälä… basically a dive bar). The best ones are closer to the centre 🙂

DrJ

Finland has a Swedish-speaking community (most famous member Tove Jansson, author of Moomintroll books) whose main city is Turku (Abu). Swedish is an official second language.

For background about ww2 I strongly recommend “Unknown Soldier” by Vaino Linna.

HansRey

Finland has a Swedish-speaking community (most famous member Tove Jansson, author of Moomintroll books) whose main city is Turku (Abu). Swedish is an official second language.

If you want to shock some Finns, remind them that Mannerheim was also a Swedish-speaking Finn. Many forget that. He’s a great military and political hero in Finland. There are many streets named for him, numerous statues, etc.
    Åbo (Turku) isn’t particularly dominated by Swedish speakers but there are many monolingual, Swedish areas elsewhere. These tend to be along the coastline, such as the Åland archipelago. Åland is a Swedish speaking region and fiercely protective of that. Most people that I’ve met there prefer to speak English to Finnish, if they even know Finnish. It’s a lovely place to visit, even in the winter.

For background about ww2 I strongly recommend “Unknown Soldier” by Vaino Linna.

Good call! Not read that yet but many Finns tell me to…

Pigface
    Free Member

Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna is a great book to read as well

Nothing to do with the war just a cool story.

I think Hanko is very Swedish isn’t it Hans?

HansRey

I think Hanko is very Swedish isn’t it Hans?

, that’s what i’ve heard. Also one of the few places to have decent surf (when there’s a storm)

mmannerr

Weather for today and next couple of days should feel quite familiar to anyone from UK. Welcome!

nedrapier

Cheers mmannerr.

So far so good. Sunny and mild, which I trust will continue through to mid-December.

Apartment is perfectly pleasant, a little smaller than the office I’m sharing with one other. Sat by the window on the fourth floor, with a view out to Lautasarri down to Melkki Melko and out to sea. I think I’ll see some good sunsets from here!

Signed up for first CX race this weekend – VPCX on Sunday.

Just realised I could hire a mo’bike for the weekend if I fancied! Toss up between doing that while the weather’s still good, and making the most of being out on the cross bike while the weather’s still good. Choices…

BillMC

Ned, Hans, I’m planning a trip to Helsinki next spring. We do lots of city breaks which involve walking for 4-5 hours per day, good food and bars, bit of live music and a central location. Where would you recommend? Is the ‘nightlife’ in Kallio intrusive? Have you found it outrageously expensive? I saw lots of Finns in Tallinn on the lash and Tallinn isn’t particularly cheap. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated. B

HansRey

BillMC – Helsinki’s a nice place to walk around. You’ll easily see it all in 4-5 days. Two days are enough with local knowledge. It’s not a vibrant capital city (such as London) and it’s quite chilled. If you’re interested in Finnish culture, it’s particularly good as there is a strong Finnish revival at the moment.

I’d recommend staying with Airbnb. The hotels are nice (and the breakfasts are usually good) but you’re looking at 150e per night including breakfast if staying central.

Tallinn is considerably cheaper than Helsinki. Many Finns go there for the cheaper (and better, IMHO) restaurants and bars. Tallinn is cheaper outside of the old town but not as scenic.

What about visiting Stockholm, Riga, Mariehamn or Gothenberg en route?

BillMC

Thanks Hans, we always do Airbnb. Which area would you recommend?

HansRey

If you want to be close to the centre with easy access to the underground system, I’d look for accomodation in Kamppi, Hakaniemi, Kaisaniemi, Kruununhaka or Kallio.
    Eira and Punavuori are also very central and are near some big parks. Good tram and bus links there, but the nearest underground station would be Kamppi.

Other places with good bus/tram links are Töölö, Arabia, Katajanokka and Lauttasaari.

The single underground line has undergone a huge extension project and it’s supposed to finish within a few months. It will run from Helsinki all the way into the middle of Espoo region. There’s not a great deal to do in Espoo, it’s more like a bunch of small villages and housing estates loosely connected together rather than a city.

send me an email if you want any more advice. I’m happy to help

nedrapier

Sorry, Bill, not much to add from my end, I’ve only been here a couple of days.

Love it so far, though. Beautiful ride home last night:

https://www.strava.com/activities/389296895

I have a Brewdog pub as my local in Punavouri. Some great beer, but you wouldn’t get much change out of €50 if you wanted to get drunk.

nedrapier

CX race on Sunday (didn’t come last) with Sauna after, beers, Jalo and a swim in the sea on the way home.

Getting into the swing of things! 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Sounds like it 😆

nedrapier

more to follow.

Pigface
    Free Member

Beautiful day in Helsinki

nedrapier

Beautiful day in Helsinki yet again! Sunniest October since records began by a big margin. 😀 Warmest November day ever earlier this week.

Now the evenings are dark, I’ve been looking into live music. Just found out Sepultura are playing next week, only 10 mins stroll from my flat. Can’t really think of many excuses not to go. Got plenty of black clothing, so no problem there (most of it technical outerwear, but still)

Just the fact that I don’t particularly like them. Loved Chaos AD BITD though. Basically, I’d be going on behalf of my 14 year-old self. Hmmm.

Pigface
    Free Member

I guess you are back now, did you enjoy Finland and any thoughts on the place you would like to share?

mmannerr

Will be interesting to hear experiences – September to December was unusually warm this year and this January has been very cold!

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes cold weather warning last week in Helsinki.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bump for Ned

nedrapier

Hey! Sorry I missed this before.

I had a great time. Would recommend it to anyone. Thanks for the advice and encouragement to go! I was lucky with the weather (see above) but did miss proper winter.

Very glad I took the bike with me. Perfect way to get around Helsinki and explore the city and further afield, and it gave me a nice excuse/reason into a couple of friendships/acquaintanceships – VPCX series: the 1st race was my first Sunday there, last race was my Last Sunday. Raced 5 of the 6 rounds, including the 10 year anniversary round up in a cottage near Tampere in 10 inches of snow. Good bunch of people, diverse interesting lot too. Post race beers, sauna, lake swimming. Mid-table obscurity was the zone I occupied.

Also met a guy I’d emailed about gravel routes – I invited myself along to a camping/biking trip he was planning – he said no problem. Great weekend up in Repovesi National Park with him and a couple of others: https://erikplankton.exposure.co/full-moon Went paddling with him in the Sipoo archipelago a little while later – dead calm, sunny, fishing (not catching), beers, sandwiches.

Met up with HansRey off here a couple of times for long-way-home beers and sunset watching at the Cafe Torpenranta.

My wife came over for a couple of weekends – went to see a couple of ice hockey matches, hired bikes for the Reitti 2000, visited Suomenlinna, mooching round town, concerts, museums. Lovely to see her.

Long weekend to Lapland as things were starting to freeze up – took the hammock up and hired a car for road trip from Ivalo – Utsjoki, downj the Norwegian border, into Norway (northern lights, -12, cold night in the hammock!) anad back to Ivalo.

Work was interesting, pretty similar to what I do here. 5th floor view south over the sea from Salmisaari. Couple of trips to Stockholm and Copenhagen.

Photo’s and more thoughts to follow when I’m home this evening.

Pigface
    Free Member

Brilliant so pleased you enjoyed it, I am going in two weeks for our ice hockey weekend.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Helsinki – September to December’ is closed to new replies.