Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Help…need to find a Honeymoon!! Where do i start?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Ok, so the Mrs to be is pretty hard to please on the holiday front. She has been looking at the Seychelles but we have discovered its way too pricey! Mauritius is Winter and risky on the weather front! We are going at the end of may early June. Any suggestions will be more than appreciated. Im stumped!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ok, so the Mrs to be is pretty hard to please on the holiday front.

Give her the credit card and go to the pub!

What does she want in a holiday as the biking in these places seems rubbish.

crispo
    Free Member

We are doing Bali and Lombok for the first 2 weeks in June.

Fly via Singapore to Lombok and have 5 nights chilling on the beach to recover, 2 nights on an island called Gili where we are going to do a bit of snorkelling, then 5 nights in Bali in the centre for some culture and adventure, then 2 nights in Singapore on the way back.

Wasnt quite as expensive as I was expecting and apparently it’s quite cheap to eat and drink and do things while we’re out there.

Weather that time of year there is meant to be spot on too!

kimbers

hmmm we had a deal, she plans the wedding i plan the honeymoon

so treking the inca trail in Peru it was……….

but then im not really a beach person

lunge

Depends what she/you want. I’ve just booked my honeymoon, we’re going to California for 2 1/2 weeks taking in LA, San Fransico and San Diego. Not cheap but will be wonderful.

Friends who have recently got married have combined beach and safari off the coast of Africa and another couple did a road trip around south of France and northern Italy. Only the latter involved biking and then only got 1 day but then that isn’t really what a honeymoon is about, or at least it isn’t for me anyway, I hope to use up my energy in other ways! 😉

legend
    Free Member

Head to somewhere like Trail Finders and use their knowledge to get sorted out.

We’re doing 2 weeks in Thailand; Bangkok, Chiang Mai then a few days kicking back in Koh Samui (a few days beach holiday is the limit for us)

wallop

We went to Oia in Santorini. Not as far as the Maldives etc and still the most romantic place I’ve ever been in my life. We only saw about four other English people in the two weeks we were there – it was awesome 😆

We spent two weeks sat on the terrace of our cave awestruck by the view.

joeyj
    Free Member

We went to the Maldives which was great even though it was their winter if you do go there go to one of the largest islands (sun island) and transfer with the sea plane. Or New York is definitely worth a visit we have been twice both for nine days and still want to go back again not too expensive to get their or when you are there. Email in profile if you want any tips for either

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This Spot looked quite nice….

br
    Free Member

Barbados.

labsey
    Free Member

Go on a cruise. That way you can visit 6/7 different countries. There’ll be enough variation to cover both of your tastes.

wallop

It’s a tricky time of year for tropical destinations. Can you wait?

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve done a few exotic holidays so fancied something different for our honeymoon. We did a campervan tour of Scotland. It was really nice. Got to some out of the way places. The wife has been working in the Seychelles recently and says its wall to wall with honeymooners

legend
    Free Member

The wife has been working in the Seychelles recently and says its wall to wall with honeymooners

My actual idea of hell 😯 (well not quite as bad as a Sandals resort, but pretty close)

jekkyl

Italy!
    Lake Garda, Verona, Venice, Milan, Rome!! Sorrento.

bruk

Had similar deal with my wife. She is not a massive beach fan so we did 5 days in San Francisco followed by a week in Hawaii. Very cool and had 1st argument as married couple when got slightly lost in redwoods after cycling across Golden Gate Bridge. Swam with turtles off Hawaii and even managed a bit of surfing.

2 centre is a good compromise if you have the time. The cost will pale into insignificance compared to other wedding costs. Failed to get an upgrade on flights due to being honeymoon but did get free champagne 😀

legolam
    Free Member

We went to Mauritius for 10 days in May a couple of years ago and the weather was great. It’s close to the equator so winter/summer doesn’t really apply but they do have wet and dry seasons. I thought it was ace – we hired a car and explored the island to get away from all the honeymooners in the all inclusive resorts.

Smudger666

Fwiw, I honeymooned on Corsica – Propriano to be precise. Nothing spectacular but about as remote in Europe as you an get, superb beaches and the water is warm enough for snorkelling at that time of year. 16th June.

Reasonably priced, other than getting there’s hitch was out of sorts with other similarly distance destinations.

stumpy01

We’ve just booked our honeymoon.

We opted for a ‘taste of Sri Lanka’ tour for a week followed by a week in the Maldives at Kurumathi resort. We booked it through Kuoni. It was similar to one that Thomson is offering & was £1200 cheaper.

We wanted to book something where we had a busy week of doing stuff followed by a week on a beach, perhaps a bit of snorkelling etc.
    The Sri Lanka side of it is mainly b&b, but once we get to the Maldives it’s all inclusive.

We also looked at a fly/drive down the Florida Keys followed by a week in the Caribbean, Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Zanzibar……

johndoh
    Free Member

We went to Oia in Santorini. Not as far as the Maldives etc and still the most romantic place I’ve ever been in my life. We only saw about four other English people in the two weeks we were there – it was awesome
    We spent two weeks sat on the terrace of our cave awestruck by the view.

And you went to the Santorini in Greece? Yes?

igm

Bought MX-5, got boat to Spain, drove down through Spain (nothing booked in advance – stopped at Paradores), then back north through Pyrenees and France and back across the channel at Cherbourg.

I can recommend the room overlooking the battlements of a 13th century castle ( Tortosa I think), winding up Pyrennean passes with the top down and sitting in the square after dark with a nice red in St Emillion.

Got good at ringing hotels and asking nicely in a language I don’t speak, if they had a room available.

john_drummer
    Free Member

We are going at the end of may early June.

Portugal’s pretty good round that time – was for me & mrs_d anyway.

we went to Lagos rather than Albufeira/Portimao. MTBing in the region too

legend
    Free Member

igm – Member
    Bought MX-5, got boat to Spain, drove down through Spain (nothing booked in advance – stopped at Paradores), then back north through Pyrenees and France and back across the channel at Cherbourg.

I can recommend the room overlooking the battlements of a 13th century castle ( Tortosa I think), winding up Pyrennean passes with the top down and sitting in the square after dark with a nice red in St Emillion.

Got good at ringing hotels and asking nicely in a language I don’t speak, if they had a room available.

was this with a woman, or did you marry the car?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why are you asking… didn’t you just say you were going to Bangor on your honeymoon

igm

Legend – How dare you? 😯 I’m mortally offended. Of course there was, and still is, a woman involved. Still got the car over 10 years later too. Don’t get out in it as much now we have two wee boys though.

igm

Clearly I was so offended I double posted

alfabus
    Free Member

We went to Scotland for 2 weeks – first week in Innerleithen, riding Inners and Glentress, then Aviemore. 2nd week in Wester Ross, riding Torridon, Applecross and the like.

My wife is awesome.

Dave

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not compulsory to go on some kind of exotic beach holiday.

Spain or Italy would be my top choices. Beaches, mountains, romantic cities, great food, easy to travel independently in a hire car.

TPTcruiser

Venice is nice with option of boat across to Slovenia.

legend
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member
    Why are you asking… didn’t you just say you were going to Bangor on your honeymoon
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Eh? I may be deeply offended (even more than igm) but need further clarification before I can decide

nickjb
    Free Member

Eh? I may be deeply offended (even more than igm) but need further clarification before I can decide

It’s a clever play on words attributed to Oscar Wilde or possibly Sid James

xiphon
    Free Member

mrs xiphon and I went to Goa in August – their ‘wet’ season (it rained once a day, early evening). Quite a bit of stuff was closed, as it was their low season, but we just wanted a combination of: nice pool, sun, bar, plenty of books…

£800 per head, for 2 weeks, 5-star hotel (The Leela, Goa) full board including flights from Heathrow.

Recommended 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

idn’t you just say you were going to Bangor on your honeymoon

I heard that used in a best mans speech, along with I heard she was veggie but he tells me she loves sausages…

With brides 6yo daughter present and rather proper family.

Tumble weed collected and gentle reminder that starting on the shots at 9am is no way to do a wedding.

Anyway back to the important part – what does SHE want.

molgrips
    Free Member

Use your imagination? Decide what you actually want first then look for somewhere that satisfies?

Deciding what you’d like to do is the best place to start imo.

andyfla
    Free Member

Morocco. We booked through Nomadic Thoughts they were superb, not even that expensive and a fantastic week.
    I wanted to go to Italy but they suggested Spain or Morocco instead to make the money go further – superb

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Colorado, go to Boulder then over to Crested Butte.. although I guess that’s a lot more MTBing based.
    BAhamas
    Thailand (but not quite the “sunny” season may still be to your liking)
    US of A West Coast Pacific Highway including Death Valley.
    South America..mmm would LOVE to go there!
    Costa Rica, Cuba??

safari???

you hvaen’t really given us a clue what you want to do, ie beach, city, activities, culture etc! I have LOADS of places I want to go and if you’re spending £20,000 on a wedding then hell I say spend at least £3000 each on a honeymoon you’ll probably remember it more!

dickie
    Free Member

Our Honeymoon last May;
    Las Vegas – 2 nights.
    Grand Canyon – 2 nights (via Hoover Dam)
    Flagstaff – 4 nights
    Sedona – 4 nights
    Scottsdale (Pheonix)- 3 nights.

Flew with BA, hired a car, approx. £2.5K from memory.
    80F – 105F & sunny every day (10F & rain when we got back to UK)

Mugboo

We had 3 nights at the Malmaison in Leeds but if I’m honest, the journey from Bradford was hell..

ask1974
    Free Member

Rustic (with a little posh thrown in) living Mexico. Lots to do and see, very romantic and not too £££. This is where we stayed in Tulum.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

that Mexico pic looks ace!!! GOt a link to the hotel?? We fancy Mexico but we’d like to travel around andi t’s a bit unstable at the mo!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Help…need to find a Honeymoon!! Where do i start?’ is closed to new replies.