Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • help with pedal up north please web site please
  • milkyman
    Free Member

Im just having a look on pedal up north website to have a look at some routes in the lake district for later this year, I have seen a couple that I like and can see a gpx file thing at the bottom of the page, but I cant get it to go to my garmin even if I drag and drop it, so im not sure if its just a link or it is a gpx file and im doing something wrong
    cheers
    craig

boxelder

Right click download to your PC, then onto the GPS?

Sandwich

Odd link that for the gpx. I clicked it and a page of xml opened in the browser (Firefox). I then saved the page to the desktop (File-Save Page As) where it sat as a gpx file ready to go on a Garmin.
    Mount the Garmin on the desktop and then drag the GPX file into the New Files folder on the device.

butcher

Odd link that for the gpx. I clicked it and a page of xml opened in the browser (Firefox).

A GPX file is just a bunch of XML, and different browsers treat files differently, some opting to open them in the browser by default.

What Garmin is it? They’re not all the same. For example, my Etrex 20, you just drop the file into the relevant folder. But on my Edge 500, there’s a ‘new files’ folder, where you need to drop it into, and the Garmin automagically places them into the correct place. However, the Edge doesn’t take a GPX file either. It needs converted to TCX first (easily done in something like bikehike.co.uk). Do it with a GPX and it will just continue to sit in the new files folder.

whitestone
    Free Member

Right click on link, chose “Save link as” (or similar, depends on OS & browser), this will open Explorer/Finder, save where you want. Now connect (mount) the Garmin and find the “New Files” folder (usually “Garmin->New Files”), copy the file to this folder. Now disconnect/unmount the Garmin and reboot it. The Garmin will load the file in to the “Courses” folder ready for you to use.

You can’t load routes directly in to the Courses folder, if you look in there you won’t see GPX files but FIT files which is the internal format used by Garmin.

Sandwich

As Butcher says if the GPX is one straight from a map then you’ll need to convert it. If it is from a ride (has times against the waypoints) then into New Files on an Edge 500 and similar should work.

butcher

As Butcher says if the GPX is one straight from a map then you’ll need to convert it. If it is from a ride (has times against the waypoints) then into New Files on an Edge 500 and similar should work.

Didn’t realise it would accept some GPX files. Every day’s a school day.

milkyman
    Free Member

thanks every one for your help, problem is now sorted
    thanks again
    craig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘help with pedal up north please web site please’ is closed to new replies.