Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Help with painting MDF, any decorators out there? (
  • mrl

I have got some MDF painting (cupboard) to do and would like some advice on my plan. I have looked at load on things in the net and this seems the best way. No cut edges are going to be exposed to view (only the on inside so not too critical). The main doors are being sprayed professionally so they should be fine, so the only on view bit is a narrow outer boarder .

The plan:
    1. Dust and clean the surfaces.
    2. Apply coat 1 of primer , not decide yet on whether to go for a specific MDF one or watered PVA. I understand the fibres on the cut edge will swell slightly and form a rough surface, less so on the un cut surfaces. Allow to dry
    3. Cover edges with a thin layer of hard wood filler. Allow to dry and then sand all surfaces to smooth.
    4. Dust and wipe clean. 2nd coat of primer (allow tom dry) and then sand again.
    5. Dust and wipe clean, and apply coat 1 of acrylic paint. Probably going to use a roller on the exposed border. For the inside (a much larger area probably about 10m2) I will use a brush.
    6. Allow to dry and sand gently with fine paper
    7. Dust and wipe clean, apply final coat of paint. Potential 3rd coat on the exposed border (with sanding in between)

Anything massively wrong in that plan? Or suggestions? (yes, I know I should post on a more relevant forum but I cannot be bothered :-), i have signed up to enough already!)

Cheers

chorlton
    Free Member

Use the MDF primer. I've never heard about someone using PVA.
    I wouldn't bother about the filler on the edges either. Just prime, sand and prime again.
    Then carry on with your master plan. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Help with painting MDF, any decorators out there? (’ is closed to new replies.