Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help with oldish 853 Kona Explosive Please
  • Vortexracing

Guy across road has this bike, it seems to be in top condition with all the original XT stuff, Frame is spotless and the forks work well.

He is considering selling it and TBH neither of us have a clue what it’s worth. Even the pedals are original.

I have had a go on it and it rides like new, the shifting is fautless.

can any of you guys help us price it please?

Ta

Dave

P1040223 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040230 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040229 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040227 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040222 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040226 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040225 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040228 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040224 by eastham_david, on Flickr

letmetalktomark

An eclectic mix of parts.

Frame is far newer than the rest. Frame looks to be 98/99, the parts look early 90s.

£250 – £300 would be my guess – maybe more if parted out.

granny_ring

A wild guess….it’s a 96/97 maybe? Wouldn’t have a clue what it’s worth tho.

Have you tried retrobike?

Woody
    Free Member

That’s rather nice.

Try Retrobike and you’ll get a detailed breakdown but probably not worth as much as you might think.

the-muffin-man

and the forks work well.

Have you been on the spirits!? Those forks never worked well!!!

Vortexracing

Those forks never worked well

maybe I was a little optimistic.

probably should have read ‘work’

not been on retrobike yet, sounds like the place to go.

I have only been at this MB stuff recently so I have no idea about bikes of this age

mamadirt
    Free Member

Frame is actually the 1999 model, and would have originally been spec’d with V brakes, aheadset, and Marzocchi Bomber forks, but as said above some parts are a lot older (early 90s). Lovely frame though 8)

souldrummer
    Free Member

I have one of those frames. I originally had it with those 80mm (or were they 68mm)lime green Z2s. Now have it as a singlespeed with Fox 100mm floats on it. It’s a lot of fun to ride.

granny_ring

Yeah thought it was a 99 🙂

Gnnr

Warranty frame replacement?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Warranty frame replacement?

doubtfull, most of the components are about 8 years older than the frame.

I think you would struggle to pull in over £200 for the full bike, possibly a bit more if you parted it out.

Bez

Seeing that stem, he doesn’t deserve a penny for it 🙂

I’d clean it and split it. Forks one way, groupset another (possibly with the wheels), frame another. The remaining stuff is jumble sale. I’d have thought you could bag £200 for the full bike without trying, £250 split without too much bother, maybe more if you find the right buyers. Tricky to know what some daft German might pay for an M730 groupset or a 2nd-gen Manitou though – might not be much, might be silly money.

snowpaul
    Free Member

its a 98/99 – i have the same frame/bike – i got it in 98 and rode across canada on it – its a lovely frame to ride – its my winter commuter now !

paul

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those frames too. Bought it in 1999, had red Bomber Z2s originally, 63mm I thought – deffo less than 80mm, still got them in a cupboard somewhere. Still ride it though i think only the frame, v brakes and rear mech are the only original bits remaining. Like souldrummer i’ve got Float 100s on it now.

boxelder

I had one from 1998. Did the Cristalp on it in ’99, with Pace forks and V brakes. Snapped at the seat tube junction a year later and replaced on warranty, but they’d changed it by then.
    I loved that bike.
    😥

yossarian
    Free Member

Definitely a 99 frame with older stuff attached.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Having flogged some early 90s stuff recently I’d say Bez is being pessimistic re their value, dunno re frame tho, not old enough to be cool, but still nice. I’d say £350 split, less whole.

Don’t think it won’t be crap to ride (brakes, forks, position) tho the frame should feel nice.

jonathan
    Free Member

Yes – the Shimano stuff is either 90 or 91 I think, the last of the 7spd stuff. Split up and cleaned/tidied it is worth some, but it’s very dependent on condition as most people looking for this sort of stuff want as close to new as possible. The levers with the intact rubber hoods will certainly be worth selling on their own.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve had a ’98 since I was 16 years old. Best riding hardtail frame ever IMO. I just love that Kona geo with a short fork:

I had track ends stuck on mine.

If it all works, I’d ride it as it is – a real retro lovely.

was
    Free Member

As said, frame is lovely but components are earlier.

Best to split it and ebay it – frame, forks, wheels, groupset as separate listings.

If you want to make the forks work again, then new elastomers come from: http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=8

Although you are much better off spending the money in the pub.

diawl2
    Free Member

What size frame is it? If it’s an 18″ I’ll give him £50 for it. 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help with oldish 853 Kona Explosive Please’ is closed to new replies.