Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help with lightweight 29er wheels please
  • tomski
    Free Member

Just got myself an On-One 29er Scandal and am loving it.
    What a great bike!
    However I have a few more pennies now and would like to get some lightweight 29er wheels. The On-One wheels are nice, but a bit heavy along with the Kenda tyres they roll on.
    Anyone got any recommendations?
    I love the Mavic Crossmax but they are a tad too expensive for me, plus I’m thinking I could probably get a better wheelset at that price by getting some custom wheel but I haven’t got a clue as to what?
    Anyone have any ideas as to what to go for?
    Any other off the shelf stuff I should be thinking of?
    I don’t really want to spend more than £300 tops if possible.
    Any pointers appreciated.
    Cheers, Tom

firestarter
    Free Member

i had some bonty racelites on mine they seemed very light . they were lighter than the stock 26 wheels on my anthem 1 lol. the hubs were dt240s but marked up as bonty with a red stripe on them. they were about 300 iirc cant think where i got them tho will have a think

firestarter
    Free Member

after doing a quick search it seems they are now 450 sorry fella

thomthumb
    Free Member

i built my scandal with bony rims they are nice and light. stans are the lightest but expensive. mavic do a tn29 which is there 29er rim – don’t know much about it. might also want to look at the xt 29er wheelset – again i don’t know much about it.

tyre wise: 2.4 racing ralphs are ace.

firestarter
    Free Member

i only used bonty jones tyres on the 29er pretty good all round tyre for year round use tbh

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Well I just changed from the same wheels and tyres as you as they were a bit lardy. Its a little bit above your budget but I got hope pro 2s on stans arch rims. Running them tubeless with Bonty tyres (500g and 570g) I think xr on the back and acx on the front. The sidewalls look a bit flimsy for some stuff but I have some tubeless ready ones coming in the post.

Anyway I got these from just riding along. They are well built and were fairly quick too. The wheels are much lighter than the on ones. I worked out I saved around 3 pounds on wheels and tyres.

I rode them at the HONC and they felt great, changed the feel of the bike for the better and despite my usual clumsy riding, no punctures 🙂

nukeproof
    Free Member

I had some XT hubs built up with DT Supercomp spokes and Stans 355 29er rims by JRA. Came in under £250, were top quality, light and stayed tight and true for all the time I had them whatever I through at them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stans

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah id go for stans rims if budget allows but i didnt think youd get a decent build done for 300 (out of touch obviously lol)

Gibbon
    Free Member

Hope will be doing Hope Hoops with Stans Arch 29er’s for £285 a pair very soon (but not ss hub).

tomski
    Free Member

Thanks all, some good pointers there.
    Never knew about these stans rims, i will investigate further.
    JRA looks a good place for some nice wheel builds as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help with lightweight 29er wheels please’ is closed to new replies.