Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help with gxp crank removal
  • sjp1
    Free Member

I am trying to remove a gxp crank and bb to fit on a different frame, I have the tool to remove the cups but I can’t get that far as I can’t remove the crank arms, I have taken the hex bolt out of the non drive side and was expecting everything to come apart from there, but still seems solid. Do I need to try tapping it out or am I missing something?

Any help greatly appreciated

It’s a whyte 901 just for ref

Thanks

Klunk
    Free Member

aren’t they self extracting ? keep undoing the inside hex bolt and it should pull the cranks off.

rs
    Free Member

that’s weird, usually the non drive side falls off by itself after moderate use.

boxelder

watch and learn
    Is there just one allen bolt, or a smaller one (8mm) inside a bigger one (10mm)? If two, undo the smaller one.

Klunk
    Free Member

that’s weird, usually the non drive side falls off by itself after moderate use.

i’ve had to cycle home one cranked before 🙂 i do them up way past the recommend torque now.

DIS

What boxelder said, if two bolts present the smaller one presses into the larger forcing the non drive crank arm of, will take a good bit of force to start with. Confused me for a while when i was taking mine of. helps to have rubber mallet to tap the axle through, block of wood and hammer may do. Mine was quite stiff and required a few hard hits.

highclimber
    Free Member

I kicked myself when I came to remove mine last year and someone pointed out the blindingly obvious with the self-extracting bolt!

sjp1
    Free Member

Yes, smaller one inside larger one took them both out and still solid, looks like the mallet is coming out!
    Thanks for the help guys

Klunk
    Free Member

not the outer one, the inner one pushes against it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Put them BOTH back on then undo the smaller (inner) one it should butt up against the big on then push the crank off when you continue to undo it.

boxelder

ONLY
    UNDO
    THE
    INNER,
    SMALLER
    ONE.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help with gxp crank removal’ is closed to new replies.