Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help with DIY – staircases
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

This may be a stupid question, but I dont know much about DIY really!
    My staircase at the moment doesnt have banisters around the landing, it has plywood. I want to take the plywood down, and put in a proper handrail/spindles etc and a new newel(?) post because the current one looks a bit rubbish. But if I take the newel post out will the staircase fall down? That's what I was told by a local builder but I'm not sure if he was joking or not… 😳
    any ideas?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not easy carpentry to change newel posts and put up a handrail and spindles.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Maybe the plywood is just covering up an original victorian balustrade?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

a new newel post because the current one looks a bit rubbish

See the bottom part of the newel post which is square/straight before it becomes "rounded" ? (hope the pics work)

Well saw it off a few inches above the floor/stair string ….cut it straight !

Then buy a newel post like this :

And bore a hole in the centre of your "stump" the exact diameter of the large dowel at the bottom of your new newel post. Glue the new post in using plenty of PVA glue. Your new handrail will also help to keep it sturdy.

HTH

lexiekay
    Free Member

I wasnt necessarily planning on doing it myself, just wanted to know how easy/hard it'd be to do?
    And no, sadly no Victorian balustrade underneath – it is literally a sheet of plywood…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Maybe the plywood is just covering up an original victorian balustrade?

Very possibly I reckon. But don't be surprised if some are missing or badly damaged.

EDIT : "sadly no Victorian balustrade underneath – it is literally a sheet of plywood… "

Oh……

mk1fan
    Free Member

As RH says the ply may be covering something 'better'.

As for the newel post. If it's just a plain square section then why not router in some details. A bit of shaving shouldn't affect it's structural performance. Then add a new newel cap.

It is fairly easy to change / renew / a spindles and a handrail.

ETA; slow typing!

lexiekay
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions 🙂
    Definitely nothing 'better'underneath (which is a shame) but sounds like it would be do-able to add in spindles and either keep the existing newel post or change it as suggested by ernie…
    That'll keep me busy over the next few weekends!

Mugboo

If your near Bradford and fancy stop chamfer spindles then i've got a few left from my new staircase. Plus my uncle will no doubt help you fit it (he's slow but his works ok).
    As stated you can cut the Newel post off and join your new one on top.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help with DIY – staircases’ is closed to new replies.