Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help with correct chain length on a Heckler please
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Hi, got a 2007 Heckler and i'm running an SLX chainset with 22/36 and bash with a Blackspire stinger and an SLX medium cage rear mech.

Just about finished the build and have just received my new Sram chain and would like to know if anyone knows how many links I need to take off for the correct tension?

Or how many links long the chain should be?

Thanks

RealMan
    Free Member

Put the chain on the biggest chainring and the biggest cassette sprocket, and pull until the mech is just off its limit of extension. Then add two links.

Check the chain in small chainring small sprocket, make sure the mech is still tensioning.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Just off its limit meaning the mech is stretched as far as it will go or the opposite where its just pulled slightly?
    Sorry but pics are so much easier 🙁

Lummox

Don't forget to compress the suspension too, if it's air let it out if it's coil, take off the spring

RealMan
    Free Member

Stretched as far as it will go.

When your mech is stretched as far as it can go it is effectively extending your chain. When the mech is near its resting point, its shortening your chain. So when you're in smaller chainrings and sprockets, you need a shorter chain, and when you're in bigger chainrings and sprockets, you need a longer chain.

iainc

or even easier – put on large chainring and smallest sprocket, size chain so that jockey wheels are vertical or tending towards the bottom one being a bit behind the top.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help with correct chain length on a Heckler please’ is closed to new replies.