Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help with condensation in a parked car
  • Pigface
    Free Member

My old Golf is parked outside the house and not being used much, how can I stop massive ammounts of condensation forming in side. Any tips?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Bag of cat litter slit open and left inside might work?

john_drummer
    Free Member

you can buy some condensation crystals from most DIY stores. And probably from JML 😉

You will need to empty the container every now & again
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Streamline-uxp030630-Kontrol-Moisture-Trap/dp/B00354PZGM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324244212&sr=8-2

Junkyard
    Free Member

dehumidifier using those crystals you get from caravan shops and cheap quid shops – might spill though when full
    one of these then?

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Homemate-Rechargeable-Dehumidifier-in-White-57203-OTZ1006.html?refid=GPA321-OTZ1006&gclid=CODigMvKjK0CFUhrfAodhFdTnQ

GTDave
    Free Member

Fill it with rice, that will absorb the moisture.

ziggy
    Free Member

And provide you with a tasty snack when you are hungry.

hopefiendboy

lol@ziggy

Burls72
    Free Member

Fix the water leak into the car.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Probably a perished seal, fix it before it gets worse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lakeland do a really good moisture trap, works very well in my old jalopy.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Had exactly the same issue with my mk3 golf, some mornings I had to scrape the inside after clearing the outside!

cheburashka
    Free Member

If there are no leaks in the seals etc make sure the carpet/mats are dry, ie if you’ve had wet feet.

pdw
    Free Member

If it’s a Mk4 with a sunroof, check if the carpets behind the seats are wet after rain. If so, it’s probably the ducts from the roof being blocked. Open the front doors and there should be a little rubber tube towards the bottom. Give it a squeeze and see what comes out. I think there’s also a couple under the rear bumper.

Cougar

Sell it?

I’ve only ever had that sort of issue with older cars which weren’t particularly weatherproof; I’d go with a leaky seal(*) as Craig suggested.

(* – I am not a dodgy old walrus)

Vortexracing

14 replies and no mention of ‘stop dogging’

what is STW coming to? 🙄

phiiiiil

Our Bongo is “well ventilated”… I have a pillowcase with cat litter in it in there, which gets put in the airing cupboard to dry out every now and then. Seems to reduce the number of “de-ice both sides of the windscreen” occasions..

stucol
    Free Member

Sorry to state the bleedin obvious, but…..

BUILD A GARAGE !

sweepy
    Free Member

If its a Mk 2 the heater matrix is a common cause

Cougar

If it’s a MkII, find a classic car collector.

(-:

CountZero

My Mk1 Octavia has the same problem, mainly because it sits unused all week, and then only a couple of times at weekends. I’ll try the kitty litter, that sounds just the thing.

globalti
    Free Member

Always run the fan on low when driving around in it. And why not leave it running on tickover for an hour with the fan on and the windows open an inch?

monkeychild
    Free Member

@countzero. If your Octy has air con, set it to the floor setting a bit before you get home. It stops the window condensation issue.

anc
    Free Member

Water leak, there renowned for it. The main suspects some as mentioned above are, sunroof if you’ve got one, battery chamber drainage blocked causing the water to come back through the pollen filter, debris around the bonnet hinges causing water to build up round the pollen filter and get in, dicky door seals, etc etc have a look on vwaudifourum for more. Tends to accumulate round the nearside passenger foot well, you may need to lift the carpet as sometimes if the leak is slight the carpet seems dry on top, but once you get underneath you find its damp.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Incontinence pads on the seat Piggie. You’re obviously getting on a bit. Take plenty of breaks along the way. Make sure to have a wee before long journeys.

project
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    My old Golf is parked outside the house and not being used much, how can I stop massive ammounts of condensation forming in side. Any tips?

I see the same problem at the local dogging spot, opening awindow and flashing the interior light seems to help as it goes on quite often.

petrieboy

Check everywhere for blocked drains. Inside sunroof channels, doors, boot and under the bonnet (especially ontop of the bulkhead)
    Silicon fork station spray can bring back dry door seals if you have a can in your bike toolbox. If that fails, Vaseline on the sunroof seal
    Ultimately, fix the cause rather than treating the symptom.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I know of one that had a leak at the boot seal. Actually, if it’s not used much I’d look into one of them there solar panels to drive the fan.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help with condensation in a parked car’ is closed to new replies.