Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help with brake mounts needed
  • snaggle
    Free Member

So I have marzocchi 66’s with post mount. Got myself a 180mm disk with some fairly old 4 pot hopes.
    Turns out It seem impossible to use the 180mm disk, also the mount I have leaves the calliper overlapping the disk. So I figure I need a 203mm disk, but then what mount?

Below are pictures of the problem.
    I know these aren’t the correct bolts to use, just an attempt to align everything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Craig.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you have apotmount fork and a IS caliper
    It looks like you are using a IS [ to the forks] with post mount to the caliper inverted so it wont work – your pics are small I cannot really tell tbh
    You need a Post mount fork to IS caliper- I dont think they do this

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HopeBrakemounts2012.pdf
    dont know if anyone else does

dufresneorama
    Free Member

That brake adaptor is wrong. You need to adapt an IS brake to a Post mount fork, the adaptor you have does the opposite.

andyl
    Free Member

you can get mounts the other way round but can’t remember where from. One of the small make that does CNC stuff I think.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m fairly confident that you can’t fit that caliper to that fork. The Hope IS to PM adaptor does not work with Marzocchi forks.

snaggle
    Free Member

I had figured the mount was wrong, just used it to illustrate the problem. The thumbnails are links to the full scale images.

From what I see, the correct one is not on the hope site.

bigG
    Free Member

you could try one of these from KCNC. It seems to work on most (but not all) forks. For the price it’s worth a try and it doesn’t involve an increase in disc size. That looks like you have completely the wrong adaptor at present.

Here’s a pic of one on my bike (180mm hope brake & disc) if that helps.

snaggle
    Free Member

That looks promising. I think it will work for a 203mm as that should give me more clearance. Have them on their site so.

Anyone fancy swapping a 203mm for a 180mm ?

bigG
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to go up a disc size, unless you want to. That’s the point of that adaptor

snaggle
    Free Member

Well as it states, it wont work for all callipers/mounts. From my side, it’s clear that it wont work, as you can’t place the calliper where it needs to be without the fork mount being in the way. I have tried to depict this above.

bigG
    Free Member

Hey it’s your brake and fork. Go for your life…. Was only trying to help.

andyl
    Free Member

as bigG said that’s a 180mm caliper on a 180mm disc.

if you have a 180mm caliper it will work with a 180mm disc. IF you need to use a 203mm disc and have a 180mm caliper then you will need a different adapter or use the above adapter with a +20mm post mount to post mount adapter to push it out further.

snaggle
    Free Member

Na, I appreciate the help, really do. Been building this bike for 2 months on a budget and this is the last thing left. Just don’t think its possible to run a 180mm with this particular set up. It’s hard to show why I think that in pictures.

Kcnc have products for running 203mm disks which would give me more clearance?
    Getting a larger disk is no problem as i’ll just sell this one, plus get some more power I guess.
    If I use the kcnc 203mm mount with a 203mm disk will be a solution? (shown on bigG’s link)

andyl
    Free Member

I cn see why bigG is getting frustrated.

tbh I think you are just holding your caliper at the wrong angle. If it’s a 180mm IS caliper than the bolt holes will be in the same position as bigGs above. Yes there may be some extra bulk on some calipers which means the adapter won’t fit but I would give it a go and see.

andyl
    Free Member

PS if you have a 180mm caliper then you probably need the 160mm adapter. Why not order both as you have 7 days to send it back?

snaggle
    Free Member

OK, seems like the best thing to do is just try these adapters. Cheers for the help.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help with brake mounts needed’ is closed to new replies.