Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help with a day riding in Corsica?
  • johnikgriff
    Free Member

Off to Corsica in a few weeks with the family. From what I gather from reading the guide books it looks a fantastic place for a ride and my wonderful wife has suggested (without prompting) that I look into having a day riding. I suspect she thinks I may get a bit grumpy if I don't get a ride in.

Where staying in the Southwest of the Island. As I only have a day I would love to rent a reasonably good bike and maybe even find a guide for the day. I've done a bit of googling and found a few places that do riding holidays, but they don't seem to offer a day riding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

I rode last year when i was out there.

Road bike, full day up into the mountains then down to the north of the island and back down the coast road to the flat. It was a FULL day and given another go id just stick to the mountain(s), there are some superb climbs and the down bits are ace too. Its largely shaded too so not too hot. Nice dip in the lakes on the way back down.

I think Corsica would be my place of choice to live. Fantastic island and people.

Have fun.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Spent 2 weeks there a few years ago, one of my fav all time places. Walked some of GR20 and the mare a mare. Not sure about riding to be honest as the high mountain stuff was very very rocky.
    I hear about someone riding the Mare a mare (coast to coast footpath)?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I have seen some photos of people riding there and it looks SOOOOO good. There must be somebody who offers "proper" MTB riding there, well I hope so.

Dickyboy

Been a couple of times & couldn't find anything either 😥

freeridenick
    Free Member

on the mare a mare i think

juan
    Free Member

although it looks nice, there is few place on the island you can ride. You might want to have a look here someone must know
    http://www.1001sentiers.fr/forum/index.php

freeridenick
    Free Member

There is an interview in issue 55 with photographer Dan Milner – I seem to remember he rode across the Island on the Mare a Mare nord and said it was one of the best things he had ever done.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Ye read the interview, but unfortunatly I've not been able to find anywhere I can get a bike from.

freeridenick
    Free Member

yes, don't recall seeing any bike shops apart from some rental beach cruisers in Calvi.

voodoo-rich

+1 for walking the GR20- did some of it a few years back, proper gnarly hiking!

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

Going myself this year and am interested in similar.

Do a search for VTT location (MTB rental) on google. It throws up this site with some naff Halfords-esque bikes http://www.velo-corse.com/fr/location-velo-vtt-vtc/

freeridenick
    Free Member

I would take your own bike and get an IGN map. Anything above about 1500m is super rocky – probably best to stick to mid level stuff and coastal

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I would take your own bike and get an IGN map. Anything above about 1500m is super rocky – probably best to stick to mid level stuff and coastal

Do you think I should ask the wife if I can leave one of the children behind and take my bike instead.

juan
    Free Member

nick I wouldn't do that. We're just a couple of hours away from the island and we never rode there for the sole reason that every people who have been riding it said it's just an horrible rock garden…

freeridenick
    Free Member

juan

there were definately rideable bits on the 10 days walking I did there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help with a day riding in Corsica?’ is closed to new replies.