Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help – will these 2nd hand XT cranks work
  • oldgwegg
    Free Member

I’ve found an XT crankset for sale with the 3 chain rings unused and the crank arms and BB in good condition. I only need the crank arms for now but figured I’d buy the lot and keep the rings and BB for spares.

However, the guy has said that he has filed down the part where the inner ring fixes on to so he could use an anti-derailleur (I think he means a tensioner) BUT that if I place a spacer I can use it as normal i.e. with all 3 chain rings.

Considering that I’m a novice when it comes to bike bits and the seller is talking to me in French I thought I’d seek some advice here about whether what he is suggesting is possible/easy to do. What do I do with a spacer ? PS – in case you’re wondering, my French isn’t that bad but I’m a bit my vocabulary is a bit limited with technical terms like “spacer” and “filed down” 🙁

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Raceface cranks came with spacers that fitted to each of the bolt holes the inner ring. This was to move it away from the cranks, Which is what I think he means.

If you want to use an inner ring and are a novice i’d walk away as you may end up with a wonly inner ring,

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

get a pic up

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

bit like this:

Linky link

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Good idea – I’ll ask for a close-up pic as I’ve only got a pic of the whole crankset.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Singlespeed Shep – thanks for the link, I didn’t see that post when I posted last night. Maybe thats it – I was just thinking of a couple of washers when he said “spacer” !

glasgowdan
    Free Member

There must be loads of used cranks for sale on this forum – just get some that haven’t been filed!

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I have some 2012 XT cranks for sale, with brand new chain rings. I used the crank arms with a renthal. Nothing has been filed either! See here for photo. Mail me with an offer if interested.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-shimano-xt-m780-triple-crank-new-rings-maxxis-hr-tyres-hope-rotor

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@glasgowdan – you are right but the 170s (bit less common than 175s) I found are £65 with unused rings and BB. I saw someone asking for £50 for just the crank arms on here the other day (and I think someone bought them), so I thought I’d go for the whole crankset for £65 if I can understand what has been filed off.

MrGFisher – as above really. Ideally I want 165mm/170mm (I’m guessing yours are 175 ?). But if I can get the arms, rings and BB for £65 I’ll try that first. Thanks for the offer though.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Oldqwegg, mine are 170mm and come with an XT BB, also brand new. £65 seems very cheap. Like you say, arms are going for £50 and have you seen the price of new rings?!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s worth paying for the avoidance of hassle!

edd

I have some 170mm Race Face Evolve XC cranks that don’t have the tabs filed for sale here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2010-race-face-evolve-xc-cranks-170mm-30-posted

They are advertised for £30 posted but make me an offer…

Race Face Evolve XC cranks by eddkh, on Flickr

oldgwegg
    Free Member

MrGFisher – 10 spd ? I have M770 9 speed on my bike. Will yours work with mine ?

edd

oldgwegg – The Race Face that I have advertised will work 9 or 10 speed (but don’t include rings).

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Yes, ten speed. Will work i believe, but you will be fitting a single ring upfront anyway wont you?

Scapegoat

Oldgwegg. Are you intending to run the bike as a single, double or triple? If you want it to run single front then the ones you originally spoke about will be fine. The granny ring bolt holes have been filed down so that the current owner can run single ring setup with a BB mounted chain device. He’s trying it on a bit telling you that you can use spacers, because if you do you’ll need to make sure that the tabs have been filed exactly the same all round, or else the granny ring you fit will be off-centre/wonky.

If you want to run double or triple walk away and find one that hasn’t been filed. Either of the two being offered to you would work.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£30 for some cosmetically knackered Race Face cranks? You having a laff?

You can get a brand new Deore complete with rings and BB for under £40 at Rose Bikes!
    🙂

shortcut

Honestly I would not bother – if they have been files and you are spacing out it will all be a bit crap really.

Look elsewhere. It is only a bargain if it works properly – otherwise waste of money.

Also why do you want short cranks? Seems odd unless you are very short.

edd

PeterPoddy – hmmm you may have a point. Time for a price drop. £20 posted anyone?

VanHalen

i am kinda in the market for new cranks and want something different but realistically it is super hard to justify anything other than the rose bikes deore. event the weights are similar to xt once you take the rings off.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Cheers all – I want to run triple-ring up front.

@shortcut – yes – I’m very short, just under 5’6″. More to the point, I find I’m getting some slight knee pain and want to try shorter cranks. I’d love 165mm but they are rare as rocking horse shit but apparently 5mm (each side) can make a difference (alledgedly). The mystic art of crank sizing varies quite a bit but the overall concensus across the interweb is that for my height, leg length, etc, I would benefit from shorter cranks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Search around for a new-old-style SLX 170mm triple, they’re great.

Or stick a WTD advert up in the classifieds.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Well, STW has come through for me again with sound advice – I have decided to leave the filed cranks. Thanks for the offers above, but I’ll pass for now. Just found new XT M770 cranks and rings (no BB) for £35 – just waiting for a response.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help – will these 2nd hand XT cranks work’ is closed to new replies.