Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Help. What 'keeper' book for 18 yr old daughter?
  • MrSparkle

I want to buy my daughter a book that she will keep. Any (sensible) suggestions? She’s pretty bright so something reasonably highbrow, maybe.
    Thanks.

bwaarp
    Free Member

War and Peace because reading it will always be a work in progress

On a serious note, there’s loads. Trawl through the greats…but being a teenager I’m guessing she’ll like something a bit Catcher in the Rye-ish.

mightymule
    Free Member

Does she like natural history? If so, pretty much anything by David Attenborough, or “Last Chance to See” – either version, but Douglas Adams’ one is the best.

labsey
    Free Member

Hunt For Red October.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The Stranger by Albert Camus?

Solaris by Stanis?aw Lem?

Garry_Lager

Are you thinking of a novel? Depends on what she likes – something timeless but accessible like Anna Karenina or Middlemarch would work if she likes the classics.

More highbrow something from a female writer like Virginia Woolf? To the Lighthouse is quite a demanding read but a knockout work if you’re into literature and want to push your reading. Riskier choice though as she might hate it and feel like she ‘has’ to read it because it’s your gift.

jruk
    Free Member

How to pay off your parent’s mortgage in 10 easy steps?

banks
    Free Member

The curious memoirs of thomas pennman – Bruce Robinson (withnail & i)

This is my keeper book, proper laugh until cry book. Cannot recommend it enough.

Do need a perverse sense of humour however

RustySpanner

This is a really good read:

Link.

She might enjoy this too:

takisawa2

Charlottes Web.

ampthill

I know its not what your thinking

but knock together a blurb book of scenes from her life

http://www.blurb.co.uk

Beyond that its all a bit personnal in terms of taste

complete sherlock homes?

duirdh
    Free Member

her first/favourite toddler book

or her religion’s “Bible”, Aesops fables is mine!

boxelder

A book of art or photos?
    What kind of stuff does she like?
    I got a Galen Rowell book as a teenager and still look at his amazing pics.
    If fiction, what about a collection of classic short stories
    Or poetry

luffy105
    Free Member

Voltaire – Candide. Quite a good sentiment for someone setting out in life.

Kip

A hardback (and if possible signed) copy of her favourite book that she keeps going back to over and over again.

I have read and re-read Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman’s Good Omens over the last 20 or so years. Simple but beautifully written book (in my opinion) that still makes me laugh and feel generally good about life. I was gutted when I lost my original copy and have replaced it accordingly.

I’m not recommending it to your daughter I’m just saying that a nice copy of a well loved book will be treasured for the memories that reading it gave her.

luffy105
    Free Member

Kip – fantastic book. Thanks for reminding me. I have not read that in years. Off to buy it now. Lost my original copy.

somafunk

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – Robert M Pirsig, it’s not always apparent what effect this book has on you till well after you read it, and then you tend to re-read it….again, and again every few years. Every time i read it i get a bit more out of it.

richpips
    Free Member

I know its not what your thinking

but knock together a blurb book of scenes from her life

http://www.blurb.co.uk

Yep, I’d second that. Oh and I got some done at Tesco for my boy’s C2C trip. Quality printing.

Kip

luffy105 – lost it or lent it to some fecker who didn’t return it? Pretty sure that’s what happened to mine. Apparently being made into a 4 part tv series by Mr P’s own company.

mightymule
    Free Member

Well I’m currently reading “1000 years of Annoying the French”, and it’s highly amusing. Although possibly not really the thing for an 18 year old – unless you want to teach her xenophobia 😀

MrSparkle

Some great suggestions there. Certainly food for thought. Thanks.

househusband

‘The Reader’ by Bernhard Schlink

saleem
    Free Member

To kill a Mockingbird, catcher in the rye or The Celestine Prophecy.

Garry_Lager

Another suggestion – Marquez’s 100 years of Solitude.

Ticks a lot of boxes here – it’s a literary masterpiece but a very moving one, the type of book if you read it at a younger age it stays with you in a ‘the best book I ever read’ sort of way. Complex structure but a lot of it is submerged, it’s not a difficult read at first.

You also have Magical Realism in full effect, which is sort of a girl’s version of science fiction. Been done to death now, but it’s an amazing style the first time you read it (and Marquez is the master).

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Requiem for a Wren by Nevil Shute. My mum was a huge Nevil Shute fan and gace me a fair few of his books when I was a teenager.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Also The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. One of the few books I think everyone should read.

johndoh
    Free Member

Make it topical and get Les Mis?

CountZero

I have read and re-read Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman’s Good Omens over the last 20 or so years. Simple but beautifully written book (in my opinion) that still makes me laugh and feel generally good about life. I was gutted when I lost my original copy and have replaced it accordingly.

I’m very fortunate in having a hardcover signed by both authors. Terry signed it first, and wrote; “Neil made me do it!” 😀
    Try to find out, subtly, what her absolute favourite book is, then see if you can get hold of a good condition hardcover copy. Don’t try to find a book that you think she ought to like, get an original copy, possibly even signed, of something she loves and treasures.
    A friend mentioned a couple of books that shed had as a child, but lost, and I managed to track one down in hardcover for her birthday this time last year. She was ecstatic at having it back.
    I’ve got several books that I’ve read over and over again as paperbacks, but a mate has tracked down original hardcovers, and I really treasure those. Abe Books are a really good place to start, or just google titles and see what you get.

seba560
    Free Member

Madame Bovary

luffy105
    Free Member

Kip – lent it and never got it back. Annoyingly I can remember who has it but can not be bothered to get back in touch with the muppet to get it back. Far less irritating to buy another. Would be interested to see the tv adaptation but often they spoil the pictures I have conjured in my mind.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

18 year olds love things by Richard Bach. Stuff like Johnathan Livingston Seagull or The Reluctant Messiah sometimes has a deep effect.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A decent edition of the works of Bill Rattlejavelin.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Old Man & the Sea? A nod to the generational element of the gift. My brother bought my dad a beautiful illustrated edition a few years back.

markoulini

Grapes of Wrath, filled my tiny mind with sadness and made me doubt the future in our wealth drive world. Exactly what any 18 yr old should read.

or for something more enlightening

The Tao of pooh and the te’ of piglet blew my already tattered mind with Chinese philosophy presented by a hunny eating happy go lucky fella and his world doubting short quiet friend.

stgeorge

Hunt For Red October.

Genuine LOL

user-removed
    Free Member

As per CZ, something hardback, preferably with a bit of value. A very good friend of mine who shares an interest in supernatural fiction bought me a HUGE copy of Algernon Blackwood’s short stories which I know must have cost a fair bit. Obviously, the cost isn’t the main reason I love the book, but I do treat it with due reverence…

How about a good copy of Lord of the Rings?

bencooper
    Free Member

Books are such a personal thing – but one I acquired from my parents and love reading over and over is Augustus Carp, Esq. my copy is a ratty old paperback, but that doesn’t matter.

Beautifully, deliciously twisted Edwardian writing – written anonymously, which makes it even better.

ska-49
    Free Member

Does she like science? My dad bought me the dictionary of science. Firstly thought it was a bit lame but it is actually the best book I’ve picked up. It’s fun to flick through and you learn a lot. I still use it and I’m 22. I imagine it would good fun to refer to in the future. I’ll be keeping mine close.

bwaarp
    Free Member

+1 for Grapes of Wrath and 100 Years of Solitude.

Also,

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

perhaps The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara (before he turned into a revolutionary).

corroded
    Free Member

Some quite blokeish suggestions above.

Just get her a nice edition of one of the classics. Something by one of the Brontes (Jane Eyre is a cracking read, or Wuthering Heights) or Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice is the obvious choice, Persuasion also good). They contain sme fairly good life lessons for young women too (always check the attic before you move in with your boyfriend). The Everyman hardback editions are quality but plenty of publishers do special covers etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Help. What 'keeper' book for 18 yr old daughter?’ is closed to new replies.