Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Help to plan my trip (Scotland)
  • Trekster
    Trekster
    yodagoat
    Free Member

good campsite with wigwams here
    http://www.applecross.uk.com/
    Nice place not too far from innerliethen and peebles.
    http://www.tibbieshiels.com/

popstar
    Free Member

Trekster your links making me mad. So many from your previous posts, but are very helpfull. Doesn’t look there are too many B&B around Laggan-Aviemore, most probably ‘cos I am blind and don’t look hard enough for them.

Don’t want to be based too far away from those places as don’t fancy to drive half day just to visit some places.

Trekster

popstar – Member
    Trekster your links making me mad. So many from your previous posts, but are very helpfull.

Ok I`ll stop 😉

Just get carried away, I do enjoy living in my corner of the world 😆

Might have been awarded the “worst clone town in scotland” award 2010 but that is outwieghed by the outdoor activities we have on offer imo 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ did you stay in Potteries Bunkhouse and what about food round those places? Don’t want to miss out on Scottish feast, is there certain things I should be looking for -food wise- ?
    Replies of eating dead dog don’t count.

I have stayed at the potteries bunkhouse – its self catering basic bunkhouse but does have family rooms. There is a pub down the raod which has Ok bar food.

Laggan is a tiny hamlet – hardly worth calling a village IIRC – I have no idea of any B&Bs there.

avimore is a tourist town and will have loads of B&Bs Tourist info in avimore will find you accomodation.

Kingussie and Newtonmore will have plenty of accomodation decent size places- I tend to either camp or stay in hotels – I don’t like B&Bs so cant help you on that

I doubt you will find great cuisine inthe area – maybe in avimore

popstar
    Free Member

Found affordable accomodation near Perth, is that too far driving wise from Laggan trail center and Highlands? Think upto 60miles (1hour) driving wise wouldn’t bother me that much.

Unfortunately my wife is bloody fussy about accomodation, (pregnant*) so have to throw my enthusiasm away about no frills.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Google finds loads of B&Bs in avimore

Trekster

Think upto 60miles (1hour) driving wise wouldn’t bother me that much.

Watch your speed, country roads = mobile chicanes/road blocks(tractors) ❗

Unfortunately my wife is bloody fussy about accomodation,

Mines is just fussy………….. 🙄

Trekster

TandemJeremy – Member
    Perth is a bit far – far better to stay in avimore or kingussie

Kingussie is nice.
    Rode the Corriearick(sp)Pass from there to ?? and back. The Challenge race which started over at the canal village(?) where we stayed

popstar
    Free Member

Will sniff through Kingussie. My eyes bleed now, but guess found a little more options in Laggan. Fingers crossed to book available room so late. Setting off this Saturday !!!

druidh
    Free Member

Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore. Good food. A proper, sociable pub. Loads of really, really great riding nearby (ask in Bothy Bikes if you’re stuck). Choice of other decent eateries too. Inverness is less than an hour away for a bit of retail therapy. Cairngorms on your doorstep – including the train up to the visitor centre. Various other visitor attractions nearby too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fingers crossed to book available room so late. Setting off this Saturday !!!

Should be no problem this time of year.

Listen to Druidh – he knows his onions

Trekster

Cheers TJ

popstar – Member
    Will sniff through Kingussie. My eyes bleed now, but guess found a little more options in Laggan. Fingers crossed to book available room so late. Setting off this Saturday !!!

ENJOY 😆

popstar
    Free Member

Cairngorm Hotel is out of my budget, need to fit somewhere between £30pppn. Looks as if it will be a challenge for me to sort things out. Thanks again to the wisest of STW.

druidh
    Free Member

Cairngorm Guest House?

I stayed there a few years back and it was just fine.

Not sure how much the rooms are at International Starters in Aviemore

popstar
    Free Member

Arghh my bad looked at other one , this looks as if a Scottish cracker!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will get somewhere no problem – its a qiet time of year in the highlands. You might be able to get deals if you phone and ask cheekily.

I really like Kingusssie as a place to stay but Avimore is much bigger and has more variety – and probably better riding with less driving. more to do if it rains as well.

Phone avimore tourist info – they will be able to book you somewhere

popstar
    Free Member

Thanks to wisdom of STW, my mind would be settled as it would be Druidh suggestions vs some of Kingussie accomodation. Should I be worried about keeping my bike in a car while staying down there? It’s a daft question to ask I know, but hearing rough stories about Glasgow and things. Just in case B&B were somehow to refuse some storage space for me bike.

sweepy
    Free Member

If youre in aviemore the mountain cafe does amazing food, not cheap but reasonable, only open through the day tho. Your bike should be ok in your car, maybe throw a blanket over it. Theres a hostel at Glenmore but I dont think youll have a problem finding a b&b in your budget, youre between the summer season and the skiing.

Trekster

Should I be worried about keeping my bike in a car while staying down there

Never really worried about it myself, maybe a bit silly tho 🙄 always take wheels off, lay as flat as pos and cover with blankets. Still obvious there is something in boot/car tho!!
    Is there something you can chain/lock the bike to ie floor luggage hooks, seat mounts??

hels
    Free Member

And be careful of the Highland Cattle, they can jump deer fences you know !

popstar
    Free Member

Thanks to STW wisdom my trip was a some experience. Stayed as Druidh suggested, that Cairngorm Guest house is very good place indeed. As lucky as I was, weather was dry too. Definately started to like wild riding in that place, plenty of awesome memories to take back home.

Next to do on my list would be a repeat at Laggan, + visit Glencoe.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Help to plan my trip (Scotland)’ is closed to new replies.