Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help spec my Morzine bike for me out of the bits I have
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

For a French Alps bike….mainly concerned with running gear and brakes.

S-works enduro frame 2006
    456 summer season frame 2008
    Coil Pikes (409)
    Coil Revelations (426)
    DTSwiss 5.1 wheels (tubed with Maxiss High Rollers)(Pro hope 2 20mm front hub, XT rear hub)
    Mavic 729 wheels (tubeless with Kenda Nevegal’s) (20mm or QR front superstar front hub, Hope XC rear))
    Xt dual control shifters / brakes
    Saint shifters
    LX shifters
    Deore M525 disc brakes
    2 x 200mm discs with adapters for F&R each
    2 x 160mm discs With adapters for F&R each

rest of the stuff doesn’t matter to me

In an ideal world I’d have 2 bikes fully built and have to spend no money but might have to do a bit of borrowing form one to the other just for the trip.

matthew_h
    Free Member

My choice out of that lot would be:

Enduro frame
    Pikes
    Mavic wheelset
    Saint shifters
    Deore brakes
    200mm discs both ends.

Should be a great bike down the hills that you can also ride up if need be.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

whatever you prefer going downhill on. I ran a 456 with coil Pikes and 20mm 5.1s last time at Morzine and it was fine. I suspect the Enduro might be smoother though.

james
    Free Member

What matthew H said, but get some high rollers to run on the wheels. Nevegals did grip when I was in morzine last year, but High rollers were better in the wet (and it was VERY sloppy all week)

MrNutt
    Free Member

summer
    pikes
    DT + HR’s
    Saint
    Deore
    200mm discs

thats what I’d do 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

swamp things for when it’s really wet and wet screams for when it rains properly

Ewan
    Free Member

Hi rollers. Some people refer to the Nevegals as ‘Kenda Surprises’, as you never know if they’ll grip or not.

Personally, I suspect they just like the funnyness of the phrase. I’ve used both Kendas (blue grooves and nevegals) out there for a couple of years. I prefered the hi rollers, but they’d both be fine.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Any merit in using XT calipers instead of the M525’s apart from looks and weight?

djglover
    Free Member

888s a DH frame and Swampthings / minnions 😕

Ewan
    Free Member

The M525s have more mass, and in theory should cope with the heat better. In practice, I have no idea. I killed some saints in the alps (seals went)…

forge197
    Free Member

braided hoses on the brake lines.

Are you taking both bike?

Also what type of riding are you looking to do VTT, Chatel Bike Park, Pleny Black, Mont Cheri

Excited thinking about it……

forge197
    Free Member

Excited about going to Morzine it should say not the bike build!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Used the XT calipers there last year with no problems but not sure I could be bothered with dual controls this time as I’ve got used more to normal shifters again.

Ideal world would see me ditching the dual controls and getting standard brake levers and shifters. I’ll keep an eye on CRC etc..

Anyway, S-works Enduro (shuttle in low BB, slack head mode) Pikes, DT Swiss 5.1 rims on Pro hope 2 (F) and XT (R) on with high rollers wrapping them up. Dual control shifters and XT calipers on it at the moment with the 200mm rotos. Just some flat pedals and a chain guard go next but they have to get here first.

Nowt like being prepared, I’m not off there until July….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help spec my Morzine bike for me out of the bits I have’ is closed to new replies.