Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help spec me a bike build?
  • donncha

Hi guys,
    I’m thinking about getting a Yeti SB5c built up as a do-it-all bike for trail raiding/big days out and would appreciate some input. Please find my proposed build below. I’d prioritise a lighter build over big & burly. Any advice on how to make it lighter, cheaper or better would be gratefully appreciated!
    And do I go for the 30mm or 35mm light bicycle rims?
    Thanks,
    Donncha.

Brakes Shimano XT Ice tech
    Cassette SRAM X01
    Chain KMX X11-SL
    Chainring 30T direct mount
    Crankset Raceface Next SL cranks 170mm
    Derl (r) Shimano XTR
    Fork RockShox Pike 150mm
    Handlebar Raceface SIXC 35.0
    Grips ESI chunky
    Headset Chris King
    Saddle Charge Scoop saddle
    Seatpost Rockshock reverb
    Shifter (r) Shimano XTR
    Stem Race Face Turbine 60mm
    Tire (F) Schwalbe Hans Dampf (trailstar, snakeskin)
    Tire (R) Schwalbe Rock Razor (trailstar, snakeskin)
    Wheels Light bicycle carbon rims with hope hubs (30 or 35mm?)

munrobiker
    Free Member

Seems reasonable to me. I’d go for lighter hubs (probably DT Swisseseses) and the 160mm pikes myself. I’d also not go for Schwalbe tyres anymore after years as a fan as they aren’t robust enough.

wrecker
    Free Member

Those cranks will be £££££. You could get X01 for £155, then put the extra on DT 240s hubs. Can you wait for the XT 11 speed?
    The pikes aren’t a huge deal, you can get the part to change them to 160 for about £40 I think.
    +1 on schwalbes. They deteriorate too quickly for the cost. Liking WTB tyres at the moment.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Very similar to my setup actually. By the way, the XTR rear mech inner cage can catch on the 40t sprocket, when you’re on the second sprocket, so you need to file/grind a little bit off.

I also went for Syntace carbon flat bars (Vector) to lower the front end a tad. And went for a Syntace stem too, as they are the best I’ve used.

donncha

Guys,this is really helpful. Thanks.
    Any recommendations of what other tyres to look at without adding lbs of weight?
    What are you riding Reggie?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Looks like a lovely spec. I’m running an XX1 cassette with XTR and is working great.

Regards to tyres. I’m running Trail Kings front and rear and find that they work pretty well in all conditions and as long as you get the black chili ones are a decent weight too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Running trail kings on the FS. One has seriously deformed though so I went for WTB Vigilante/trailboss (team compound) and I’m liking them so far.

cokie

Nothing to add because that’s my dream bike 😮 😯 !
    I’d maybe go for XTR brakes to match the whole XTR spec.
    I would definitely opt for 35mm rims. I’ve found my wide rims offer excellent performance over skinnier options (and look great too).

z1ppy

If your going LB rims, it does seem a shame to spec hope (lovely if heavy) hubs, as above save cash elsewhere to prioritize a lighter hub

I went 30mm LB’s and they suit my general ‘trail’ riding down to the ground, and built up as a lovely pair of light-ish weight wheels (wasn’t the point of getting them but was a bonus) – 1510g before rim tape and values for a set of 29er’s. I know my m8, is now regretting not going for the 35mm for a more gravity related performance though.

XTR brakes seemingly add nothing over XT, which seemingly add nothing over SLX…. I’ve still going XT myself though!
    I’d also +1 to the wait for XT 11 speed over XTR, if you can

acer2012
    Free Member

+1 on Dt hubs and maybe a Maxxis minion exo for the front? Trail kings lack a bit of cornering bite in loose stuff is my experience.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Sram cranks are quite a chunk heavier than the Nexts. If I had the money I’d go for Nexts.

AlexSimon

Stem length? Yetis are long, so might like a shorter stem. Worth double-checking.
    After looking at the specs of the SixC bars versus the Next SLs, I went with the Next SLs, although I do only weigh 60kg.

I’m not a massive fan of Schwalbe tyres, so I would look at an Ardent Ikon rear with a High Roller/Minion front. Both in EXO.

These are obviously just personal thoughts – ymmv

wrecker
    Free Member

Only 100g in it when the BB is taken into account?

donncha

Thanks guys. Some useful feedback here.
    May have to rethink hubs & tyres for a start….

pinetree
    Free Member

Sounds pretty much bob on, but as others have said, those wheels sound a bit low-spec for the level of the build.
    Had you thought about the e13 trs race wheels?
    That’s what I’ve got on my sb5, and they’re shit hot! They have alloy rims but they’ve got carbon shelled hubs (much pimpage) and weigh nowt. They’re crazy stiff, and as an added bonus, the hubs are LOUD!

I’m not exactly light, and I give mine a fair hammering- yet to show any signs of letting up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help spec me a bike build?’ is closed to new replies.