Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help servicing Shimano FH-RM35 rear hub
  • devash
    Free Member

I was fettling with the girlfriend’s bike last night trying to track down some issues with the drivetrain after a partiocularly wet and buddy ride on Monday and seem to have tracked it down to the rear hub. She has an entry level Cube hardtail that came with a very basic wheelset including Shimano FH-RM35 hubs.

After pulling them to pieces I have to say I’m rather shocked by the simplicity of them. Here’s a pdf with the cutaway diagram;

Link

Now I prefer sealed cartridge bearing hubs over Shimano loose ball / cup and cone but this hub is ridiculous. The hub and freehub seem to lack any waterproof sealing at all. Am I right to think that I just need to repack the hub with copious amounts of thick grease? Will these hubs survive another wet winter ride? 😆

munrobiker
    Free Member

A good clean then really ram it full of grease and it’ll be fine for years.

mintimperial

Yep, loads of grease, don’t jet wash it, it’ll be fine. C&C bearings are great but need a little looking after, that’s all.

devash
    Free Member

Great thanks for the info chaps. I’ve just read the Park Tool guide to cup and cone hubs so will give it a good cleanout / repack tonight.

orangeboy
    Free Member

They just need a little tlc to survive winter
    But your right the low end hubs do lack seals

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help servicing Shimano FH-RM35 rear hub’ is closed to new replies.