Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • HELP!! Second Hand Bike Build…
  • burgatedicky

So, I’ve managed to get a Mk 3 Soul frame off ebay, to replace an aged P7 frame.

I’m going to move across as much as I can from the P7, but will buy a new (2nd hand) set of forks to match the tapered headset.

My requirements are for a 15 or 20mm bolt though fork with 140mm travel.
    Perusing pinkbike and ebay it seems that both late RLC and early CTD forks are available for about £250. Which is best in terms of damping and general bump compliance.
    Would I be better with a last generation RLC fork, or a first generation CTD one?
    Should a set of rockshox revelations be considered too? I haven’t had rockshox since going to fox in 2008, but a lot has changed!
    Again, with the various damping models what would be best in terms of real world performance and cost? Solo/Dual air, RCT3 etc??
    Does anyone know the MINIMUM steerer length that I would need too? I’m guessing about 180mm?

Also, dropper posts…I didn’t have one on the P7 as it had a 27.2 tube. The soul is not kitted for a stealth post, but is a reverb still the way to go? How do you calculate which length to go for too?

Thanks,

Dicky

Mackem

You can put a straight steerer fork into a tapered headset frame, just get the right lower headset bits. It’s what I did when moving from a P7.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d go Rockshox over Fox, especially 2nd hand.

A leftfield option (or two) that I’ve owned in the past would be a 20mm bolt-thru Pace RC41 (lovely forks and super light – ran some of them on my old Soul and they were a great match) or some Magura Thors – 140mm travel but run them with a bit of sag if you want. Ace forks.

jekkyl

lots of contradicting opinions about the longevity of the reverb. After asking on here I went for a gravity dropper as it’s mechanical so less can go wrong. I found 100mm drop was enough for me to get the seat under my bum on steep descents.

burgatedicky

Thanks,

Mackem – Member

You can put a straight steerer fork into a tapered headset frame, just get the right lower headset bits. It’s what I did when moving from a P7.

The reason I’m looking a new forks is that the P7’s ones are an equally aged set of Fox Van R’s, and I was going to take the chance to fit something a little more advanced!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘HELP!! Second Hand Bike Build…’ is closed to new replies.