Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help: Road brake caliper not reaching down to braking surface on rim,
  • marionheck
    Free Member

Need some dark side help.

Had a 105 brake rear brake caliper sitting in my bike box and put it on a bike last night, but for the life of me I could not get the brake blocks to sit over the braking surface of the rim, they just don’t reach that far down. I have slid the brake blocks down in the slots on the brakes as low as they go and still they are about 3-4mm to high and basically grip onto the top of the rim and the bottom of the tyre.

Anyone have and bright ideas? Have I done something wrong?

Please help!!!!!

Cheers

Dave

uplink
    Free Member

Road brake calipers have different ‘drops’ I believe

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

you need deep drop (58mm ??) road brake – i.e. the ones they use for winter bikes /bikes with mudguards

cyclistm
    Free Member

You’ll be needing some 57mm drop brakes. Sounds like you are putting standard drop brakes onto a winter frame.

marionheck
    Free Member

that would make sense as it is an old steel planet x frame with mudguard and pannier rack mounts. that is a pain – i was suppose to build it and take it to france on saturday. could be some sprinting aroudn the LBS tonight I feel!

thank you all

Dave

uplink
    Free Member

Can’t you fabricate something to drop the caliper a bit?

oldgit
    Free Member

You’ll find some easilly. If you want to play safe I THINK that Tiagras are 57mm only.

I bought a frame from Fleabay that turned out to be a cut and shut. Shallow brake for the front, deep for the back.

Stoner
    Free Member

very tricky as the bolt goes through the frame and the pivot of the caliper.

wallop

I got some decent 57mm Shimano drops from Ribble earlier this year. If you want to spend less, then Tektro do some reasonable budget ones.

schmiken
    wallop

These might be worth a look too

marionheck
    Free Member

thanks all – will go see what i can get.

cheers

Dave

aracer
    Free Member

I bought a frame from Fleabay that turned out to be a cut and shut. Shallow brake for the front, deep for the back

My Ribble winter bike as supplied needs a deep drop front, but will take a shallow drop rear – handy given that mrs aracer’s Tifosi needs a deep drop rear but works with a shallow drop front, hence I only needed to buy one pair of deep drops between them (and could re-use a pair from my parts bin for the other end).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help: Road brake caliper not reaching down to braking surface on rim,’ is closed to new replies.