Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help resolve this scaffolding problem – Edinburgh flat
  • Garry_Lager

Anyone know how renting scaffolding works?

Long story short: Edinburgh tenament block. Landlord 2 above lives down south and is a raging arsehole. Refuses to fix leak from his waste pipe that is damaging flats below, including mine. Statutory notice served, arsehole eventually gets scaffolding put up and leak fixed after months of hassle.

5 months later and scaffolding is still up. Aside from the security issue – any Ned in South Edinburgh could shin up to me bathroom window and step into the flat, it's fking irritating to have the place looking like a building site on account of this absentee bulb-end landlord.

How come the scaffolding company don't want their scaffolding back? Are they not arsed about it – there's no sign on it so I don't even know who erected it.

neilb67
    Free Member

Have a look on the end of the boards as thats where they normally mark them or on the clamps.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How come the scaffolding company don't want their scaffolding back? Are they not arsed about it

I'm baffled by that too – it's going to be either costing them, or your landlord, a lot of money. Perhaps they've gone bust ?

Unless maybe ……. the recession has hit them badly, they've got no where else to use it, and no where left to store it ? They risk getting it nicked though.

Flog it ? ! 😀

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Climb up and start dismantling it from the top down. Place in a nice neat pile so as not to look like a huffy git.

Or get some window locks fitted and write to the landlord to ask for name of scaffold company and offer to contact them on his behalf to have it dismantled.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

dismantling it from the top down

Agreed – always the best way I find.

uplink
    Free Member

not quite as entertaining though

aP
    Free Member

You could always take it down and sell it?

Garry_Lager

Thanks for the replies – looking for the scaffolding companies name on the boards is a good shout.

It would basically be a non-issue with anyone sensible, but lines of communication got burned up pretty good during the leak fiasco.

Smee
    Free Member

There are no Neds in Edinburgh.

They are Gadgeys over there.

neilb67
    Free Member

They sometimes mark it with paint. 2 or 3 colours. If its painted then speak to a scaffolding company and they will probably know which company uses those colours.

skidartist
    Free Member

dismantling it from the top down

Not everybody totally grasps that concept, I cushioned the fall of a 2 story high scaffolding staircase with my spine after a bright spark decided to start unbolting everything at the bottom then try and work his way up.

Brycey
    Free Member

Send me a photo of the security paint and I'll ask my Edbru colleaugues who's it is. rbryce at sgb dot co dot uk.

Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

No scafftag on it? Maybe the local health and safety bods would like to take it down for you.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Injury yourself on it, then sue the landlord.

fadda

not forgetting to wee on the clamps…

coogan
    Free Member

There are no Neds in Edinburgh.

They are Gadgeys over there.

Nope, they are still neds.

bensales
    Free Member

You could just pop a large sign on it:

"Scaffolding: Free to collector"

Jerome
    Free Member

We have scaffold outside our place.
    It will be there till the next job comes up.
    Cheaper than taking down and storing.
    So much for my sea view.
    J.

csb

Ring the council and tell them you've seen some kids climbing on it.

hora
    Free Member

Scaffolding company may have gone out of business or its a convenient place to 'store' their stock. Is this a known-practice in tight times? (Im guessing!).

I wouldnt dismantle it yourself. Bloody dangerous especially if you drop a clamp etc on a car or passing pedestrian.

roundwheels
    Free Member

coogan- they are gadgeys over here get up to date man

jockhaggis- mtfu and use the angle grinder nice neat pile my arse 😈

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd make a few attempts to find out who it belongs to, then if I couldnt I'd call any of them and ask them to come and take it away. If they recognise it they'll prbably call whoever it belongs to, if its not local it'll get re-homed I'm sure!

roundwheels
    Free Member

come to think of it i may know some body that would strip it for you but if you were ever ask what happened your answer would have to be what scaffold

hora
    Free Member

Ring the council and tell them you've seen some kids climbing on it.

Utter genius. Soo subtle yet genius.

doc_blues
    Free Member

tie some rope to the back of a truck and run away…or is that just in cartoons?

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Doc
    We had some scaffolding roudn our hosue for a loft entension yonks ago. The access road down the side of the property is fire brigade access so my mum was worried that it was impeding the way.

The local fire inspector came out, took one look and said "nah its ok, we'll just pull it down if we need to get through"

That and half the house!

higgo
    Free Member

Can you weld? You could lash up a few DeKerf replicas.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help resolve this scaffolding problem – Edinburgh flat’ is closed to new replies.