Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Help requested – should I buy a 26 or 29er size?
  • imagine
    Free Member

I use my MTB (an old 19″ frame Marin) almost entirely off road on single track but no jumps. Out twice weekly so it will get plenty of use.

Looking at spending IRO £600 to £700 as I don’t need anything better specc’ed.

Looking around the bike shops I have had my head turned to a Trek 29er and am due to try one out this week. A lot of what the sales person said rang true for my riding style, but I have an inherent distrust of sales people. (I should know I am in sales)

What also bothers me is that I feel more at home on a 20″ frame but sales people always bang on about 19″ or even 18″! I am 5’10” large bloke.

For me spending this amount of money is a big deal.

If anyone could help out with a bit of advice as whether a 29er is advantageous, is realistically a design for the future (don’t want to be left with an unsalable bike if I don’t like) and will it be good for my type of riding.

Thanks

druidh
    Free Member

Which is?

imagine
    Free Member

That it better for balance, speed uphill, and smooths out the bumps, on muddy trails, rocky tracks, woodland trails (not Architrail snores)

mboy
    Free Member

Ride what feels comfortable to you… We’re all different. But a 20″ frame would definitely be on the large side for someone of your height.

26″ vs 29er is still a raging debate. Try both out, see what you like personally! They both have their merits and they’re equally valid in the marketplace these days… (by the way, I sell and fix bikes for a job! 😉 )

Moses

Try a number of bikes to see which feels right. Have you any mates’ bikes you can also try?

I’m 5’9″ and ride a 16″ frame, unless you’ve legs up to your armpits I’d say a 20″ is WAY too big. What’s your leg length?

druidh
    Free Member

Generically, I’d say that 29ers are smoother/faster over bumpy ground and on hard-packed trails. The 26er still has an edge where nimbleness rules. On sizing, it’s generally felt that a smaller bike is “sharper” to manoeuvre, but a bigger bike is better for long days on less technical terrain. At 5’10”, it could go either way. An 18″ frame will be more “playful” though you may find it cramped on longer rides.

I’m 5’7″ and find 17-18″ frames ideal for my riding.

imagine
    Free Member

Moses, thanks for that I am a bit short on leg length :-). druidh, nice thoughts thank you, looks like I have to re-access my own mind and listen to the sales people more then

druidh
    Free Member

Just be careful that you aren’t sold what the Sales person would ride themselves if their riding is markedly different to your own.

cookeaa

I’d say the top tube/contact point dimensions are a better indicator of fit than the seat tube length, not all bikes are made equal.

see if you can get some test rides (proper test rides not a car park trundle)…

try to get a 29er for a test ride if you can just to see if the benefits are there for you.

As an illustration, like you I’m 5’10” I ride the following:

16″ 456 (trail riding HT)
    15″ Kona Stab (DH banger)
    19″ Old Kona Fire mountain (SS-XC/winter MTB)
    56cm (22″) Carrerra road bike (Commuter)…

Seat tube size means very little.

imagine
    Free Member

Thanks cookeaa, very interesting

thomthumb
    Free Member

20″ at 5’10” is probably too big. But (and it’s a big but) its hard to tell with out seeing you on a bike. 18″ normally good up to ~6ft.

also as has been said 20″ does not equal 20″. try and compare Effective top tube length (often listed as ETT).

Personally i like my 29ers. I wouldn’t worry about them going obsolete anytime soon. ride them and see what you like; buy the one you like.

prezet
    Free Member

5’11” and ride a 16″ BFe – frame sizing, like wheel sizing is personal preference – demo as many as you can to work out what feels right for you. A 20″ frame would feel like a gate to me but right for someone else.

pete68
    Free Member

As every else has said .a 20 inch sounds way too big. I’m 5′ 11″ and ride a 17″ Cotic ( m).

takisawa2

20″ is way too big.
    19″ is pushing it at 5’10”.

18″ is spot on for you.

You can always pop a longer stem on an 18″ if you want a bit more stretch.
    You cant shorten a top tube on a 20″…

Be sure they arent trying to sell you a dusty shop bike, thats not sold because they ordered in a wrong size…

johnnystorm

It is tricky, and not even individual manufacturers are consistent. My Spearfish is an 18″ medium and feels spot on. I was all set to get a Fargo in Medium and CTBM advised against it, true enough I bought a Large 20″ and it too feels perfect!*

*By that I’m sure Salsa can use a tape measure, it’s just that different bikes are “better” for you in varying sizes.

johnnystorm

Oh, and I’d definitely go 29er. If nothing else its something else to learn/try/revitalise riding and looking at the various shops getting hold of tyres, etc supply isn’t difficult and prices are almost identical now. Bike-discount.de are doing 29er kevlar folding tyres for just over a tenner!

cookeaa

It’s interesting actually:

I took a mate who wants to get more in to MTBing and isn’t happy with his current bike (cheap 26er – he says it feels “Draggy”) to the local Specialized shop the other day (he just likes the brand)…

He’s ~6′ and more into covering offroad miles and doing a bit of fun Single track than lots of jumps and drops, I suggested that he seriously consider a 29er to allow him to cover more miles and expend his energy more sensibly…

Looking at them side by side on the shop floor I’d say the 29ers seem to replecate a similar rider position, BB height and general layout to the 26ers but obviously with larger Dia’ wheels and a marginally longer wheelbase, they’re trying to give you a comfortable, familiar riding position but with better rolling…

TBH you have to try them out to be sure if they work for you…

I’m pretty sure 29ers are here to stay now, but run screaming form anyone who offers to sell you a 650b/27.5″…

Frankers
    Free Member

Frame size???? Wheel size????

What happened to the good old days when you bought a bike cause you liked the colour

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ and ride 16-18″ frames. The most important factor for anyone is top tube length, so long as standover is sufficient. For me I like something around 59.5-60cm.

Go off that, not frame size alone.

timraven

I’m 5’10” and have always ridden 17″- 18″ frames, some have been a bit long too 20″, feels like a farm gate to me.

Try as many as you can all wheel sizes and a few frame sizes. It’s you that has to ride it, not the salesman.

26″ vs 29er is still a raging debate. Try both out, see what you like personally! They both have their merits and they’re equally valid in the marketplace these days

+1

timraven

What happened to the good old days when you bought a bike cause you liked the colour

😆

kimbers

has anyone said 650b yet?

prezet
    Free Member

If you’re going 29’er just make sure to haggle for a new pair of riding shoes…

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Get a 29er.

End.

MarkyC
    Free Member

Nah. Don’t believe the marketing-types who’ve run out of ideas. Get a proper MTB with 26″ wheels.

‘Nuff said. 😉

klumpy
    Free Member

Pick a bike that suits you in terms of the usual stuff; burly vs climbing, price vs spec, how it test rode (if you get the chance), and pure and simple “phwoaar” factor. It should come with wheels, and they’ll be in one of the two aforementioned sizes.

jezandu
    Free Member

Try the 29er in an 18″. The first thing you’ll notice is how much longer the bikes are over 26er versions. I know mine was about 20-30mm. You’ll soon know when on it if its right. 20″ is often to big for someone your height especially if short in the leg. It’ll feel even bigger with 29 wheels on. Bit like riding a gate!

Jez http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’m six foot & generally feel right on large (21″) 26ers , however I now ride medium (19″) 29ers.

Generally , you can go down a size on 29ers.

imagine
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, it is appreciated. Went and tried a 29er today and loved it, trouble is the £700 one was nowhere near as nice as the £850! (both 17.5″ frames) So all the advice above was spot on about frame size, thanks.

Felt weird getting on my old Marin for a couple hour blast this afternoon, the mud tracks were swamps, the hard tracks were more like shallow river beds, and my feet reduced to ice blocks. Damned fun though 🙂

Going in to try a new 26″ somewhere on Wednesday to compare to the 29er I have fallen for

avdave2

When I bought my first mountain bike I had a choice between a Ridgeback with a very nice 531 frame and a Rockhopper. The Ridgeback was a light metallic green and the Rockhopper was red. So not really a choice at all.

readikus

29er

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’m six foot & generally feel right on large (21″) 26ers , however I now ride medium (19″) 29ers.

Generally , you can go down a size on 29ers.

I don’t know of a manufacturer who classes 19″ as medium for a MTB and would dispute that you can generally go down a size on a 29er . Indeed I can remember less than a year ago dear old MBR magazine in all it’s wisdom stating that you need to go up a size when riding a 29er but then they spent 2 of the last 3 years trying to find anything bad to say about 29ers , then realising they were hopelessly wrong yet again did a total about turn and guess what ? This year their bike of the year is a 29er , muppets .

MoreCashThanDash

I’m your height and pondering the same issue

I ride 17-18″ frames for MTBs, so a 20″ must be a whopper!

Only way to find out is to try one and see how it feels. It would help me if you live near Derby and buy a 29er I could borrow though…..

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Help requested – should I buy a 26 or 29er size?’ is closed to new replies.