Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • HELP!! recurring problem with Rockshox Revelations
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

Hi, I have a recurring problem with my Rockshox Revelations. I keep loosing oil from the compression damper chamber down into the lower leg assembly.

Its not a predictable occurrence, it could happen the first ride out or 10 rides out however when it does occur it results in the compression damper settings having no impact on the movement of the fork- no lockout function and no threshold either. It is never a massive amount of oil in the lower leg, maybe only 5-10ml extra but the lose of volume is enough. The only way to rectify the problem is drain the compression unit and top up with oil- always the correct volume.

I have had one servicing company look at the forks and service them to no avail and I’ve spoken to another without any joy. I recently replaced the inner and outer seals on the rebound unit and that sorted it for a few rides but yesterday I noticed it had gone again.

I’ve therefore hoping the combined knowledge of STW might give me some new ideas as I’m sick of constantly having to drain the compression chamber and refill with oil.

woody2000

Is something nicking the seals and causing them to leak? Bit of swarf, metal shaving from cutting the steerer etc etc?

pinch_flat
    Free Member

I don’t think so, I’ve completely stripped down that leg assembly and cleaned it thoroughly, including a wash with IPA. The company that serviced it also did the same.

metal_leg
    Free Member

Got exactly the same problem. I was convinced it was due to oil leaking from the top cap as I store the bike with the front wheel hooked up.

julianwilson
    Free Member

TFT once diagnosed this fault on my old 05 reba as a cracked seal head. (as in the top of the rebound assembly that carries the two seals: on my version fork this was white plastic) They fixed it with a vew one (didn’t charge even for the part, which they robbed from a dead fork) and sent back the old one with the repaired fork: I would never have guessed or even been able to tell the seal head was cracked (I probably still have it in a drawer somewhere) but the problem never recurred.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Bike is stored rubber side down. A cracked seal head could be it though as I believe it is caused when I have a big hit on the front end and its under maximum compression force.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘HELP!! recurring problem with Rockshox Revelations’ is closed to new replies.