Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help! Really bad brake vibrations on new bike – Hope Tech X2s
  • fishboy
    Free Member

Hi folks,
    I'm getting really bad vibrations from both the front and rear brakes on my new Five Pro, as above they're Hope Tech X2s. No idea why and its bloody annoying!!

I've only done about 10-12 hours on it and the vibrations started after about halfway through this time whenever I do any moderate or hard braking. Doesn't matter whether the forks and rear end are locked out or not so I'm pretty sure its a 100% brake problem. Everything seems tight enough, the discs are sitting plumb in the middle and appear to be aligned to the caliper as per the mark on them.

Anyone got any thoughts!?!

Cheers, Andy.

ojom
    Free Member

What rotors you got?

fishboy
    Free Member

Just the standard ones, 183 front and 160 rear I think

ojom
    Free Member

Sure everything is tight?

snaps
    Free Member

Complain to where you bought it from?

mudpup
    Free Member

Loose bolts or play in hub bearings?

Taff
    Free Member

I cleaned mine down last night with alloy wheel cleaner and mine stopped doing it. Could be worth giving them a good clean before taking them back to the shop

snaps
    Free Member

Thats a point, have you used cleaning fluid or lubricant near the pads?

fishboy
    Free Member

Thanks all, I'll try the cleaner first and see how it goes. Will double-check the bolts etc. but it would be a little odd if both brakes were doing something similar. Washed the bike with very mild soap and water only and avoided the rotors, but if they got contaminated would this mean new pads?

Any recommendations re rotor cleaner? Presumably some sort of alcohol based cleaner will do?

Thanks again, Andy.

fishboy
    Free Member

Oh, avoided pads too, never had any problems with the Monos on my HT from cleaning it this way. Bloody things!

montylikesbeer

Check the pistons are fully retracted and that you have even pad ware.

If not remove the brakes and clean the pistons, if uneven pad wear then simply set them up again.

My braking has been it bit iffy (same bike as yours), I did have uneven wear and vibration, since these checks and works its been fine.

fishboy
    Free Member

Cheers Monty, sounds like a job for the bike shop if thats the case! Having said that would I see uneven wear after 5 rides totaling 12hrs or less?

montylikesbeer

I guess it depends on where you ride, in the Pennines a set a ride out is not unknown.

Whip the pads out and have a look, takes 2 mins.

I got a workstand and do this stuff myself now, gears and stuff I'll wiz it then into the LBS.

On the back end take your wheel off and check the cones are not loose as well

fishboy
    Free Member

Will have a good look at it all again later, four rides locally (lakes) plus Dalbeatie and mainly dry bar Whinlatter so I'd be surprised. Each ride must be bloody expensive in the Pennines!! Thank christ the Northern end isn't like that!

montylikesbeer

Middle of winter once the gritstone mushy mud gets deep it can be grim.

I'm using superstar carbon pads and they are great (roll on octopi references)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help! Really bad brake vibrations on new bike – Hope Tech X2s’ is closed to new replies.