Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help re: Whyte bike sizing
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m ordering a 909 hardtail and I’m 5ft 11″, so just into large territory. I’ve always ridden large frames, but I hear this year’s Whytes are on the big side. Anyone else of a similar size can recommend medium or large?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Size guide for 2017 bikes here
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/info/bike-sizing-by-brand/whyte-bikes-sizing-guide/
    Not tried any of the 2018 stock, but had a go on a 2017 Whyte full sus
    Few months back. I am 5’10 and was definitely a medium.

firestarter
    Free Member

I sat on a med and a large t130s the other day im just short of 5’10 and large was definitely too long but med felt fine possibly a little short.
    Though I could probably fit either with a bit of jiggling about, not much help I’m afraid 🙂

dissonance

They are pretty long. If this years has got longer still then suspect it would be a medium.
    At 5’10 and I ride a 2016 medium 905 and its plenty big enough.
    Probably best to try and test them out though.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and a half ish, and ride a 2016 M 901, and it fits like a glove. I’m not sure I’d want a L, let alone one of the newer ones that’s even longer!

owenh

Another 5’10″ rider happily on a Medium here. A 2017 T130 full suss in my case. Proportionately my legs and arms are long and my trunk short. A large would be too long a reach and probably I wouldn’t be able to fit the dropper post either.

mboy
    Free Member

At 5ft11 you could go either way. Depends how long you like your bikes. The medium will still be longer than most large Bikes from only a few years ago, the Large is a big bike… But then it’s not as big as some that are in vogue right now.

I’m 5ft10.5, I’d definitely go for the medium myself, but then I’ve got a short torso and long legs so the large would feel very stretched to me.

tufty
    Free Member

As others have said, a lot comes down to proportions and personal preference. I’m 6′, 33″ inseam on a 2018 905. Where abouts are you? Can you demo, or at least sit on one of each in a bike shop to get an idea? If you went with the L you could ask to have the 40mm stem that comes on the M instead of the stock 50mm to fine tune a little.
    Great bike, it’s a hoot. Enjoy, whichever you plump for.

rOcKeTdOg

The medium we have in the shop is very long compared with the Treks & Cubes we have, Large is super tanker long but still has loads of stand over. I’m 6ft & reach wise medium is fine but there’s an awful lot of dropper post showing.

astormatt
    Free Member

I am only 5’8, but i have a 2018 909.
    If you can’t have a sit on one, i would trust their size guide, my medium is pretty much bang on for me.
    Good shout about changing the stem to the 40mm one.

surfingobo
    Free Member

Depends if you’re buying it because you want a new school long bike or not. If you do then it doesn’t make sense to size down! For what it’s worth I demoed a 2018 XL and L 905 back to back. I’m 6ft and wear 32 inch leg trousers. I loved the xl, felt cramped when I then got on the L. Felt really cramped when I then got back on my 18 inch inbred. If I’d got on the large then the xl then I’d probably have felt great on the large and stretched on the xl. Personally I’d work out the largest size you can get a 150mm dropper in and go for that one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

5,11” on a 2017 T-130s in Large..
    Tried both Medium and Large.. both felt spot on, but went for the Large in the end.

tufty
    Free Member

tufty
    Free Member

Oh, and I’m on a L. I’d intended to say that in my post above, you know, in case that was helpful! 🙂

mhether
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and about to get a Whyte S150 at the moment. I’m in between sizes. The shop has medium available. I’ve sat on the medium and had a little ride around the car park and it felt fine. I have a 2015 T130 in Large at the moment. I am going to have to try a large S150 as it’s concerning me and delaying my purchase as it needs to be right.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I’m about 5 10 and went for a large on a T130

RichBowman

6ft (33 inch or so legs) and on a Large 2017 905. Fits very well – more ‘in’ the bike than ‘on’ the bike (had a v2 Solaris in large, and felt very much perched on top. Very different beast though).

Got a 150mm dropper on it as well (e*Thirteen) – about 3 or 4 cm of post showing above the seat tube end.

Riotous, fun bike.

Rich

spacemonkey

6’ 3” on a 2017 XL 901 with 140mm Yari. Very much in it as Rich says above. Cracking HT (even more so as I built mine from scratch for 2/3 the RRP.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help re: Whyte bike sizing’ is closed to new replies.