Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help Please – Fox RP2 Dust Wiper Seal
  • RayMazey
    Free Member

Hi

Just fitted all new seals to my Fox RP2 rear shock. Last piece to go in is the dust wiper seal. I cannot get this to fit in, and have no idea why. Has anyone else had this problem?

I no I sould be able to fit this in about 10 seconds, but I have been trying for ages. The seal is exactly the same as the old one, so come on what am I doing wrong? Unbelieveably frustrating- Help please.
    Thanks
    Ray

seanodav
    Free Member

Same happened to mine, the gland the seal sits on had deformed, probably due to neg pressure in past. needed new aircan to repair it so bought coil instead.
    Think its a warrenty repair though if still within warranty.
    To check have a look in aircan at metal ring-gland that seal sits on, is it distorted?

RayMazey
    Free Member

Thanks seanodav

Unsure what you mean by metal ring gland? The dust wiper seal just fits in the groove between the top of shock the nylon ring inside. It should fit in easy, but I really cant understand why it wont fit. I have only carried out the job, as it was way overdue (according to Fox) for a service. All the other seals went in no problem.

If anyone else as heard of this problem before, please let me know. I cant use my bike till I get it sorted

Thanks again
    Ray

seanodav
    Free Member

Look into aircan, there is i small metal ridge runs all the way around the neck, is it flat or is there a slight bend in it?
    Exactly the same story as mine btw

RayMazey
    Free Member

All looks OK to me, no distortion etc.

Cant see how I can go wrong with this, its not that its anything technical or tricky. So its either me in idiot mode, or there is a manufacture problem, which I very much doubt, as the new seals match the old ones as far as I can see.

Why did I ever go to full sus from hardtail………..

seanodav
    Free Member

The seal does actually just go in easy if the gland is straight.
    You do have the plastic bits in behind the gland?

As per picture 21 in this pdf
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/service_videos/air_sleeve_maint.pdf

RayMazey
    Free Member

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, both plastic bits in.

Please click on video link below, I am at 7.08 The guty fits the dust wiper seal in about 5 seds.

Cheers
    Ray

lipseal
    Free Member

Can’t you lube it up and push it in?

seanodav
    Free Member

Yeah it really is that easy. are you able to get the seal in but its not sitting flat?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure if i’ve understood you correctly, but it sounds like you’re trying to fit the plastic ring and the dust seal into the same groove.The two plastic rings go one either side of the inner seal, the dust seal goes into it’s own groove.

RayMazey
    Free Member

Oooppppsss!!!

What an idiot. On closer inspection I was doing what coatesy says. All sorted now.

Thanks a lot guys for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Oh the shame!!

Cheers
    Ray

lipseal
    Free Member

That’s good I can go back now and watch channel 4 😉

seanodav
    Free Member

Thats a relief! no spare parts now have we? 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help Please – Fox RP2 Dust Wiper Seal’ is closed to new replies.