Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help Please: Fox FIT RLC 140 only giving up half its travel
  • anysize
    Free Member

Got a Fox Float FIT 140 RLC (factory kashima job). I know these are quite progressive and it’s always tended to “only” use 90% of the travel. But about a month ago that seemed to change to 50%. At first I thought I was just not riding as hard. Then I tried to drop the pressure, so I’m now running 30% sag with compression damping set to minimum. But I’m still only getting around 50% of the travel.

If I take all the air out then it will compress fully and the small bump performance feels fine. But, I can lean on the bars to the point where I can feel them flex and it still wont go beyond 50% travel and it feels pretty harsh over any decent sized hits.

Any thoughts on what could have changed to make this happen?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

check how much oil has migrated into the air chamber….

sumomatt
    Free Member

Just had this on mine. Was a warranty job.

anysize
    Free Member

So, do I pull it apart and take a look or send it off in the hope that it’s covered by warranty? I think it’s a 2012 model, but I bought it new around six months back.

cardo

I would give Mojo a call.

zoo200
    Free Member

Mojo will cover it but you will have to go through the shop you got them from, so phone them.

anysize
    Free Member

check how much oil has migrated into the air chamber….

Thanks. I turned the bike upside down and let the air out, along with what looked like almost 30ml of green oil. So I guess there is diddly squat in the lower leg now. Still, on the plus side, I’ve got all the travel back 🙂

A quick bit of Googling suggests that this is a known issue and there are some “new” seals to fix it. So, I’ll give Mojo a call (I guess I have to use them for warranty stuff).

chrischim
    Free Member

From memory you just need to remove the foam ring that sits under the air chamber plunger/seal. There is a fox part that replaces the ring but I think it is optional. I did this to mine a while back and it has been fine ever since.

anysize
    Free Member

Thanks. I read a long thread, which also seemed to suggest that simply removing the foam ring from the air plunger would solve it. However, a quick chat with the nice lady at Mojo pointed me at the correct replacement wiper seal, which is only a quid. Since I needed to order some float fluid and crush washers (which I always lose!) I stuck one of these on the order as well. So, hopefully it’s problem solved.

Just draining some oil out of the top (through the valve) had a dramatic effect though. I guess this is one of those problems that sneak up on you and the fork gets gradually more harsh. I’d just assumed that I was riding even more crappy than usual, but it turns out that I’m exactly as crap as I’ve always been, which is nice.

Thanks for all the advice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help Please: Fox FIT RLC 140 only giving up half its travel’ is closed to new replies.