Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Help Planning a trip to America
  • rone

Id recommed Utah. Moab is very cool and not just for biking. But the whole state is full of outdoor stuff of all kinds. Just don’t set your sights on national parks, they are not like ours – they are tourist traps built around some physical beauty where you pay to get in and drive your car around in a big queue.

Agreed on the parks. Very permit oreintated and they aren’t that keen in bikes in them.

We are staying at the Gonzo Inn Moab. Ace place.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

TBH it’s too big a country to do in one big go. Better to pick a chunk you really want to do and then think about the next chunk later..

This.

I go there quite a lot with work, have travelled there twice and lived there for a while. It’s a big, diverse place.

What are you after? Riding? Sight seeing? Culture? History? Architecture? Ghettos? Redneck towns where you’ll be asked to leave because of your strange accent? The US has it all.

Personally I’d stick to the coasts or mountains. On a budget I’d consider getting an RV, sleeping in Walmart parking lots (it’s free and legal) and driving around. The trains are like the UK’s post-privatisation with added Beeching cuts, but having a really, really bad day. Flights can be cheap, depending who you fly with – Alaskan, JetBlue and South West are always worth checking out. Greyhounds are (or certainly were) cheap and consequently certainly used to carry very interesting folk and have depots in interesting parts of town; this can be either stimulating or downright scary, depending on your view/naivety. However, they are a good way of seeing the country.

I don’t get the love for Las Vegas, I thought it was dire and I wouldn’t go back if you paid me. It looks glitzy on TV but up close it’s cheap and nasty, the marble pillars are chickenwire and fibreglass (which just about sums up Vegas as a whole TBH).

This sums up Vegas for me. I don’t like particularly like it, but see the attraction of going there. It is a party town, but like everyone’s said – a fool and his money are easily parted, especially in Vegas. Do it, but don’t do it for very long.

Equally, all the major cities are expensive. Expect to pay London prices for beer in SF and the like. I was shocked during my last trip (eight weeks ago) at the cost of eating out in Chicago and SF. I found it more expensive than is used to be, and the double whammy is the exchange rate is crap (thanks Brexit).

plumber
    Free Member

I’d do either

NYC/Philly up to Vermont to Boston
    or
    San Fran to Tahoe/Reno
    or
    Portland to Hood river to bend

I always advise road trips to get any taste of the US – its easy/cheap and can reveal the most amazing sights you will never find on a tourist itinery

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Help Planning a trip to America’ is closed to new replies.