Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help – On One Codine or Orange 5 AM
  • Remedy1
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting on of the above anyone out there got any thoughts

Cheers Guys

frood
    Free Member

Full bike or just the frame?

Personally… love my Codeine. Very fast and capable bike. Full build is reasonable. Superb for the Money.
    Solid bike, very stiff rear end, climbs well, descends even better.
    CCDB and pike… not sure I need to say more

Weak points – not the lightest frame, but it still sets PRs on climbs over my 25lb Ti hardtail
    the wheelbuild as stock needed retensioning
    it wants to be ridden hard. All the time 🙂
    Rock Shox Maxle can come loose. Bit of threadlock sorts this, but that’s just the Maxle design… will be the same on any frame

chestrockwell

As per STW rules I’m going to recommend the bike I’ve got so go for the Alpine 5 (I assume that’s the one you’re after?). Hugely capable bike and lots of fun. TBH it feels much like my old 26″ 5 most of the time but just a whole lot faster. Don’t really notice the weight. I can’t wait to build mine back up as I didn’t realise how ace it was until I split it down and went back to my HT.

Saying all that, the On-One is killer value so it depends what your priorities are. Allthough if you plan to keep it a while then sell on you’ll make a fair chunk of the price difference back on the second hand market as the Orange will command a much higher price.

roverpig

To confuse matters further, I guess if you are considering the Alpine Five you have to consider the Segment as it basically has the same geometry.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can you cope with 1×10 or afford 1×11?

chiefgrooveguru

To confuse matters further, I guess if you are considering the Alpine Five you have to consider the Segment as it basically has the same geometry.

A degree steeper, ~30mm less wheelbase and 30mm less travel. Not the same!

roverpig

Travel I agree, but whether more is better and whether many normal mortals can really detect a degree of head angle or 30mm here or there on a 1,200mm wheelbase is debatable. Still, I don’t want to derail the thread, just chucking it out as another option (in true STW style, although I don’t actually own one).

harryjan
    Free Member

Finger hovering on the cheaper Codeine model & shifting my wheel set/running gear from my current bike.

Reckon Frame + Pike would cost be £500 after selling my existing 29er.

Really wish I could do a demo in Devon though 🙁

cokie

I may have a 50 mile old Orange Five ’14 in 17” with Pikes and CCDB Air.
    Would you be interested?

konanige

Codeine all the way. Back wheel went a bit baggy as above but sorted in 10 mins. Awesome machine PR’s up and down mostly down, confidence up about 10 notches wouldn’t buy anything else now. Riding buddy bought one as well and feels the same way

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Codeine over a five? Pffft not a chance.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Aren’t clearances on the back of the codeine really tight for anything other than a skinny tyre?

chiefgrooveguru

Travel I agree, but whether more is better and whether many normal mortals can really detect a degree of head angle or 30mm here or there on a 1,200mm wheelbase is debatable.

I find a half degree change of HA pretty obvious on a 26 let alone a whole degree on 29.

brant
    Free Member

Mal-ec – Member
    Aren’t clearances on the back of the codeine really tight for anything other than a skinny tyre?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

No

AlexSimon

Mal-ec – Member

That was the Titus El Guapo they were selling off cheap. Don’t know if it was all Guapos or not.

frood
    Free Member

Mal-ec. Loads of room around the 2.25s at the back. You can go bigger, but why would you want to? Tenacious grip already. (Coming from the steep, muddy, rooty tweed valley)

roverpig

I find a half degree change of HA pretty obvious on a 26 let alone a whole degree on 29

Fair enough, although I notice that when bike mags actually measure angles (rather than just re-printing the press release) they never seem to match up with the spec. I’d love to know what the variance is, but we’re getting off the point.

Going back to the Codeine: if you want a 29er with short stays then something has to give. It might be tight clearances for rear tyres, or the lack of a front derailleur, or just a complicated and expensive frame.

If you can live with longer chainstays then you can have a simple frame with good tyre clearance and the option to run a front derailleur. So, that would be the key question for me “how much do I want the shorter chainstays of the Codeine?”. If I don’t care about short chainstays I’d take the Five, but if I really thought they mattered I wouldn’t.

disconoir
    Free Member

Codeine is killer value, no worries for rear tyre clearance either. The more I ride mine the more I like it, quite possibly the best full suspension bike I’ve owned (albeit the only 29er one!)

Rorschach
    Free Member

I will have a large Codeine frame in the classifieds as soon as I sort the bloomin photos out 👿

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help – On One Codine or Orange 5 AM’ is closed to new replies.