• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help On Ice Tech Rotors and Post Adaptors
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Argh, getting stressed trying to buy some XT brakes to replace the Avid dross on my bike.

I’m failing to find any useful info on google on whether to get Icetech or normal rotors and what size to get (rear wheel first)

please give me your words of wisdom

sunnrider
    Free Member

I´ve run the icetech rotors (180mm) for a year with no probs. Didn´t buy finned pads when the first ones wore out, they´re just a gimmick imho.

I find 180 just about enough for the riding I do (big bumpy mtns).
    I would consider maybe going for 203mm on the front, if only just to compare.
    For riding in the UK 180 front and 180/160 rear would be fine.
    203mm if you like a bit of DH.

carlphillips
    Free Member

+1 wot he said^^^

nosedive
    Free Member

I replaced my avids for xt 785s earlier this year. soooooo impressed. easier to bleed and maintain, easy to set up. I went for 203 \ 180 but unless you plan to really hammer it on a big bike I think 180 \ 160 would be fine, there is plenty of power.

edit – and I just went for normal discs, saved a few quid over ice tech

footflaps

I’ve used XTR race with Magura Marta rotors (160mm) and was cooking the rotors on the descents in Sardinia – had to stop and let them cool down every few minutes….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
    I’m 80kg, don’t do any jumping or significant downhills. Much prefer uphills. Mainly cross country stuff.

Should I get a 160mm rear rotor or 180?

So I’m wondering what the catch is. Been vascilating over the last weeks betweek getting SLX or XT. On CRC just now the XTs are only £72 which seems to be about the same price as the SLXs. Bought one and used some kind soul’s £10 voucher. XT brake for £62…mmm

Just need to decide on whether to get icetech whatsits

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Another daft question
    Are M785 the latest and greatest xt brakes or have I just bought an antique?

santac
    Free Member

I use hope floating rotors 180 front 160 rear with no problems,I’m 84kg if that helps

Kryton57

2012 XT’s with Icetech rotors are incredibly powerful. I’m running 2 x 160 on my hardtail and they stop like mad. For what you describe that’d probably be enough, But i’d agree with the above and go 180F /160R if you only have the one bike to cover all bases.

You don’t need the finned pads. The new dual compound pads it’ll most likely come with are brlliant, but can be had aftermarket (ie from somewhere like discobrakes) for £22.50 for 4 pairs rather than the stock shimano £16 – £20 per 1 pair.

FWIW I’m 82kg so close to you.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Right, I’ve found the catch. They’re only 72 quid because they don’t actually have any in stock and so you can’t actually buy them ;_) apart from one rear brake for which the matching front brake has been discontinued. Ho hum. Who wants matching brakes anyway?

euans2
    Free Member
    perthmtb
    Free Member

Just to add my two cents worth…

I too thought those finned pads were just a marketing gimmick, so I swapped mine for the non finned before I even used the brakes. Darn it if I didn’t get the brakes overheating on every long descent, something expanding so that the pads rubbed the rotors and squealed until they cooled down. Re-fitted the finned pads and problem went away.

Now, I’ve never overheated a brake before, so I tend to think there’s something about these new Shimanos that means they’re prone to heating up – maybe its that they’re super powerful, or that the pistons are ceramic so don’t dissipate the heat thru the caliper – who knows!

So, now I take back what I said about all this “Ice-tec” finned pads and sandwich rotors – I think Shimano have done it for a reason…

Alex

My bro had a pair on his new Soul. Compared to my 2010 XT’s they are significantly more powerful. It’s a bit like having a wall thrown at you 😉 I managed to get a (silver) set as part of an XT groupset but had to buy some bigger rotors. I’ve gone for 180/180 for my rocket which is probably overkill on the rear but we’re off to the Alps next year so might as well get use to that.

I gave up with Avid a few years ago. XT’s ain’t subtle but they do stop you very quickly. Tried a mate’s bike with newish Hope M4s. Totally different feel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help On Ice Tech Rotors and Post Adaptors’ is closed to new replies.