• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help needed to create a Numbers spreadsheet for a race
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Hi folks

I am trying to create a spreadsheet for a race. There will be around 10 – 20 entrants.

There are points to be gained for each segment of the race, but points will vary.

What I need to do is to create scorecards for each participant. I would like a race official to be able to add an x for example each time a participant wins a segment. The idea is that this x would result in another cell in the spreadsheet being filled in with the points for that segment.

So the logic is

i) Does the participant qualify for points?
    ii) If no, do nothing and the points row will be zero.
    iii) If yes, the official adds an x to that segment, and next to it the spreadsheet looks up the points for that row, and adds the points value.

At the end I should therefore end up with a long row of points and some zeros, and know who has got what total amount of points.

I am not too sure what function will do this. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be extremely helpful as my use of Apple help is not really telling me what I should be looking for.

Many thanks!

Simon

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You don’t say what software you are using, but you’d be able to that with ‘IF’ in excel

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hi – Apple Mac Numbers. I did say Numbers in the title but I guess it is an ambiguous name.

Thanks

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I think that should be all possible using a Vlookup and multiple pages.

I.e page 1 lists relevant points (x=10 points, y=5 etc). I’m assuming that everyone could gain 10 points on challenge A etc?

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have two sheets, POINTS and SCORECARD. I guess I need something like

If (A3=x, add (value in POINTS, B3), anything else, add 0)

Do you know the syntax for this?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hi Simply Oil

Yes, I have not explained the rules very well as it is a complex game.

Players can either win points on that section or not win points. So some will have an x and some not.

I am struggling as Apple help does not seem to say how to look things up on other sheets.

allthepies
    Free Member

In your result cell

= source cell + ( IF(A3=x,POINTS!B3,0))

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hi – I did a typo.

It seems to be working now!

many thanks for all you help. I couldn’t have done this on my own.

Many thanks!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

A pen and paper are your friends 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

This is actually going to be for a live corporate training game where pen and paper will not be too much use!

Now this this is working, I realise that I need an AND type thing as well.

Did the entrant do this section, and do they have an X? If so, they get these points.

Would anyone wish to offer the best advice for this?

br
    Free Member

Would anyone wish to offer the best advice for this?

How about you paying us what you are earning?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to create a Numbers spreadsheet for a race’ is closed to new replies.