Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help needed…. South Wales
  • -Shines-
    Free Member

I’m planning a long weekend in South Wales in July to get some riding in, couple of trail centres maybe or purchase a local guide book – haven’t decided.

But before I look into the riding, wheres the best place to stay in South Wales to be central to some good riding. Any recommendations for bike friendly b&b’s welcome also.

Thanks

IdleJon

I think you need to decide where you are going first – there are lots of places to stay seeing as S Wales is over 100 miles long! 😉

Gower would be my recommendation – lovely area to stay, some of the most beautiful beaches in the UK. There is some good riding there, plus fairly easy access to Afan, Brechfa, Cwm Rhaiadr. It’s pretty central in S Wales and only a short hop to Swansea (also some good riding here!).

Rickos
    Free Member

Or maybe Brecon for some classic Black Mountains riding.

plodtv
    Free Member

You have a lot of options of places to stay with most of the South Wales trails being easily accessed from the M4 corridor. Gower (mentioned above) is a brilliant option, as the place really is a place of outstanding natural beauty. Not sure about bike friendly B&Bs having no need to use them (living here).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at Bryn Teg B&B which was nice and on the doorstep of Afan but further from Brecon Beacons.

Lots of Afan seems to be closed at the moment though, Penyhdd is closed indefinitely, Skyline diverts you through a horrendous bog from 56-66 markers, and i think even the Wall has some diversions too.

brakeswithface

I’d be tempted to stay further east than Gower etc. Gower is slow to get off and the riding isn’t that good (although it is stunning). I’d go for somewhere more Abergavenny way, you can ride Cwm Carn if you want, then you’re well placed for the main Black Mountains riding, and evening stuff like the Blorenge. Not too far to head west to the Gap etc.

Brechfa and Afan are fine, but in July you really want to be doing most of your riding around the Black Mountains I’d have thought.

-Shines-
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Definitely gives me something to think about. I’ve really not done any research yet (as you can tell) and was going to leave it to the other half, but knowing him I’ll never get there. 🙂

Might come back with more questions once I’ve decided where to stay. I’m thinking it’ll be black mountains by the sounds of it, unless I’m persuaded otherwise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help needed…. South Wales’ is closed to new replies.