Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help needed setting up 2nd router as wireless access point
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

As the title suggests I’m having problems setting up an old router as a slave (although I did it 18 months ago and this same setup worked).
    As soon as I change the slave router’s IP address to a fixed one I can no longer access its settings – and yes I am using the new IP address (192.168.1.2) in the address bar.
    Also, do I need to tell the primary router about this new fixed IP? Do I need to add it into the primary router’s settings?
    ta.

oldnpastit

You shouldn’t need to tell the other router. The secondary one is just bridging.

No idea why it should stop responding. It might just be slow to reconfigure itself, or there might be something else with that IP address. What does ping say?

ffej
    Free Member

You may need to let your router know not to use the static ip of the WAP in its DHCP list so you don’t get a clash either by reserving it or ensuring the list used by DHCP starts at, eg, 192.168.1.10

Cougar

Which device is doing DHCP?

You may need to let your router know not to use the static ip of the WAP in its DHCP list so you don’t get a clash either by reserving it or ensuring the list used by DHCP starts at, eg, 192.168.1.10

Assuming this is what’s happening, which sounds likely, I’d use a MAC reservation rather than a static.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks, yes I have changed the DHCP pool on the primary router to start at 192.168.1.3 to avoid the static IP of the WAP.

I’ve just read that I may need to disconnect the ethernet cable and reconnect after changing the IP so I’ll try that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help needed setting up 2nd router as wireless access point’ is closed to new replies.