Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help needed in identifying a Fox 100mm air spring or not..
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

Hi,

I got a set of knackered forks 2nd hand which are ‘ meant to be 100mm ‘ and I have stripped the internals out to re use – the air spring has a black piston head and 3 holes in the shaft BUT the overall length is a fair bit longer than a 130mm air spring I had from another dead set of forks to compare with… this right?

confused…

paul

glenh
    Free Member

Do you mean the push rod?
    The ‘spring’ is just some air.

snowpaul
    Free Member

Hi glen,

yes i meant the push rod – sorry wasnt being clear…

paul

Dancake
    Free Member

The air shaft (at least on the older ones) had 3 holes for 80mm, 100mm and 130mm. newer ones could be 90, 120,130 so check your spacing

If your air shaft is older, and retaining pin is in the middle hole, you are set for 100mm. Some info in this thread

Dont stick it in the 130mm hole thinking you will get more travel if you dont have the right damper. They are sized and a 100mm damper will pull itself apart if the air shaft is set at 130mm!

the 80mm hole is the bottom on. the 130mm hole is the top one .(this chap has pulled the pin out or redrilled to get a really small amount of travel

nb I was fine with “Air spring” fox themselves refer to an “air spring service” and this the “Air shaft” 🙂

snowpaul
    Free Member

Cheers dancake – thats the same air shaft / spring I have – I managed to get an ok 120 damper cartridge to run either 100 / 120 – didnt want to fall into the too much air spring for the damper trap etc…

its been a mission to get a cobbbled together fork ! I was just curious as to why a 130mm air spring was loner overall than the 100mm I also had…

I am more used to RS forks and they are in opinion easier to work on

cheeers

paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help needed in identifying a Fox 100mm air spring or not..’ is closed to new replies.