Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help needed from photographists
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

This is the view through the VF of an old Ricoh KR10 SLR I have. Does anybody know what the black dot is at 12 o’clock of the focus circle (?) and where it could physically be.

Is it cleanableoffable?

Ta loves.

footflaps

I think that’s Saturn coming into ascension. The darker bit below it is the moon waxing…

HTH

nbt

looks like a dust spot on the viewfinder – the sharp focus suggests to me it’s there rather than further down the way.

Or, it could be something designed to show you the location of the upright – i.e. that’s the dot on the centre line, given that the split focus screen runs at 45 deg

ski
    Free Member

its dust, don’t bother trying to clean it.

I will not effect your pictures

DickBarton

Compressed air can – remove lens (if possible) and open the shutter – give it a blast from the air can and hopefully it will remove the dust particle.

I’m not photographer but I’ve seen that done…

finishthat
    Free Member

It is muck on the focus screen , the screen the mirror reflects the image onto.
    If it is on the outside – most likely – then you can easily remove it.
    Take the lens off and turn the camera upside down – the white/gray screen should be obvious.
    Do not rub the screen as depending on the design you will find that the
    screen is rough/machined on the side you can access – flick the lump of dirt off with a lens brush or similar.
    Note that as it is a biggish lump it may be part of the mirror buffer foam degrading – hence do not use a powerful air blower as it will send bits everywhere including the shutter – which could kill it.
    Some cameras have removable fucus screens – but not yours.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’ve put some film in and fitted a 28-70mm lens. I’m good to go.

Lock and load.

Andy-R

A goose feather (seriously) is probably the best thing for cleaning dust off focusing screens. They have a slightly “sticky” feel (because of the microscopic bards) which seems to grab hold of the dust better than a brush.

I got the tip from John Hermanson

@Dick Barton – you can’t clean screens with the shutter open as the mirror will then be obscuring the screen.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help needed from photographists’ is closed to new replies.