Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Help! my seat post is stuck!
  • attila
    Free Member

I’ve wd40’d it, tried icing post and heating frame with a hairdryer, inverted it and tried standing on the saddle and I’m about out of ideas, I’m a bit scared to hammer it but is this o.k if I do it reeeeeeaaaaaaally gently?

elaineanne
    Free Member

lube..oil think we,ve had one of these threads b4..some :wink:kind person will be along shortly to help… neva had that prob me sen like (touches wood)…

attila
    Free Member

should have said it’s a Scott cx, alloy frame.

nedrapier

I tried a hairdryer, I reckon boiling water’s better.

My name’s Ed, I had a stuck seat post, and this is my story:

– coca cola down the seattube over a weekend
    – forcing apart the clamp slot and spraying GT85 (I used the handle of a table knife in an adjutable spanner)
    – boiling water round the top of the seattube.
    – Once you’ve got it moving a bit, then comes the mighty heaving:
    – left foot in the downtube/seattube junction, heel of the right hand pushing the back of the saddle towards me, left hand on the nose, pulling and twisting. I won about a millimeter of seatpost per quarter turn, then I had to return it to center for another twist n pull.
    – apply more boiling water when it starts to get trickier, every 3 or 4 quarter turns
    – repeat as necessary.

wear gloves! I lost skin on 2 fingers and have a big blister in the palm of my hand.

This was with a carbon skin post, but it’s all mechanical, except for the coke.

Good luck!

pastcaring
    Free Member

try to get some oil/wd40/gt85 in there leave over night. put the saddle in a vice and use the bike as leverage, pulling and twisting until it moves.

hth

ChrisA
    Free Member

what about penatration fluid, leave it to soak if possible, then boiling water to get it evapourating, this should work.

kokomojoe
    Free Member

You could try pouring boiling water over the seat tube. This may expand the alloy enough to get things moving. Watch your hands and feet when doing this!!
    good luck

radoggair
    Free Member

0what about if your aluminium seatpost is stuck in your carbon frame 🙁

kitebikeski
    Free Member

WD 40 is a good penetrant but not lubricant I’ve ben told.
    Similar problem solved by:
    Cut top of seat post off.
    Tap a thread onto inside of seat post.
    Weld a bolt onto the end of a slide hammer to match thread.
    Screw bolt/slide hammer into seat post
    Couple of whallops with the slide hammer & out pops the seat post

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

A friend of mine recently renovated a mk1 SC Heckler which had a seized seat post. We tried everything. We started by filling the frame with ‘plus gas’ (like wd40 but in a drum rather than a spray) and let it soak for a month, then pulled, no joy. We then tried to put some heat on the frame and freeze the seat post, still no joy. Not wanting to anneal the alloy and end up with a butter frame we gave up.
    We were turned on to these guys at Argos cycles. They set the frame up in a jig and drill the posts out! You can guarantee that there will be one tiny spot that is seized so once they start drilling and get to that spot the rest just starts spinning and drops out. The finished job was like new as they ran a reamer down the tube, no machining marks at all.

Home

Northwind

WD40’s not a very good penetrating oil, Plus Gas (in a drum or aerosol) is a lot better.

Assume you’ve tried twisting it… What worked for mine (steel post in steel frame, for 15 years, aargh) was actually smacking it downwards, with a gigantic hammer- I could put on far more force that way and with a sharp impact, which was enough to break the corrosion.

attila
    Free Member

many thanks all! boiling the kettle right now, then gonna set the power tools on it. (Or more precisely, let someone else loose on it with the power tools)
    Ed, sorry to laugh at your pain but good story!

kaesae
    Free Member

Have you tried taking the seat of and putting a steel bar or something similar inplace of the seat to use as leverage. I use a long pole or my shifter and a leverage bar or simply remove the seat and other bits from the post and jam what’s left in one of my big vices.

Then like pastcaring said simply use the frame as leverage, last resort is cut the post of where it comes out of the frame and simply ream it out.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Do let us know how you get on

Cubed
    Free Member

Right
    Whatever you do don’t cut the seatpost off.Bikeshop would need to use this for leverage.
    Have u tried plus gas?
    If this doesn’t work – it will need to be hand milled out.
    Aluminium and alloy don’t mix – you need to re grease regular – if you don’t they ened up chemically bonding together!!!

attila
    Free Member

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh! This is how I am getting on. FFS

b1galus
    Free Member

a large man will call round tomorrow evening and remove it for you or if you really can’t wait i suggest leaving it outside with the saddle chained to the fence, some wee nyaff will have it out before you can say stop thief .

attila
    Free Member

i was just about to say I give up. some things require MAN strength. but boy am I peeved to admit it. And you know I am going to keep trying all bleedin’ night anyway.

crackhead
    Free Member

thats the spirit!
    Good luck, it will come out…

I’ll repeat the sage advice I was given (on Bikemagic) when I had the same problem: “Time machine and grease”. Not much use really, as I hadn’t greased the time machine either.

I’ve simply been riding around with no seat post clamp for the last 10 years.

scaredypants

cue angelic “aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh”, and up pops the might of Sheldon !

attila
    Free Member

so if all else fails sheldon says pee on it?

scaredypants

can you pee ammonia ? 😯

attila
    Free Member

just clutching at straws
    not really, If you can.. maybe go see as doctor.

attila
    Free Member

well, my dad has just been around to do his worst, managed to get it rotating (although with an awful cracking noise, mmm) by being slightly brutal, but enough to shift it down enough to ride! Phew.
    I’m knackered. Reckon I could give up the gym and just try to remove stuck seat posts instead. It still needs to go to the bike shop to get it in a vice but I’m more optimistic that it won’t need drilling oot. Thanks for all the tippitytoptastic tips guys.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

what material are the frame and post? coca cola works in some situations as its a weak phosphoric acid solution, which dissolves metal oxides (its sold in stronger concentrations as a rust remover) so if the sticking is likely to be oxidation/corrosion (which is less dense than the base metal so effectively expands) it may well shift it.

scaredypants

any news then ?

did you accidentally wee in your own shoes and have to leave the forum for good ?

coatesy
    Free Member

We were in a similar situation recently, seatpost in a big vice, and four of us twisting and pulling at the same time could only turn it, but not remove it.As a last resort, I slid a snug fitting block of metal (old crown race slide hammer)down the post to sit against the frame,clamped the post with a small gap to the block,drove a pair of large flat bladed screwdrivers in between them and inched it out.

attila
    Free Member

I did not pee in my shoes!
    I was busy. I did my first cyclocross race on Sunday and I still hurt. Therefore I have decided to delegate this task to the lovely boys at the bicycle works. Now I can use my evenings to do something other than wrestle a bike frame.

Selled
    Free Member

I had exactly this problem. And I know EXACTLY the thing to do. I tried heating, hitting.. nothing would budge it. So.. the solution.. first of all you have to remove as many components you can from the bike, wheels, chainset, bars, brakes etc. Find a hard piece of ground, as a tip, I found the concrete in my garage to be suitable. Now invert the bike, stand on the front side and hold the frame with two hands, raise the frame above your head..with a flowing downward action slam the seat post into the concrete… if like me it does not move do it again and again and again until frustration gets the better of you. Slam bike into garage wall and go buy another one on credit…. problem fixed.

attila
    Free Member

Selled -that is far too expensive an option. In fact that was very very silly.

Selled
    Free Member

I know, i must admit, it was a bit silly. Most is true accept the part about buying a new one. This was my old winter work bike and was screwed anyway. At least you know not to try the same as it did not work.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Help! my seat post is stuck!’ is closed to new replies.