Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help! My 5 spot refuses to die!
  • Stablebarns
    Free Member

It’s been 10 years now. I bought the frame (horst link original) used in 2006 from a some bloke at an army barracks. I’ve never greased the pivot points. Most of the parts came off of an On One 456, except the wheels.. Hope hubs built up by Stif.
    I have ridden nearly every trail centre in the UK. Until recently I was living in a flat in Central London, so the idea of any sort of home servicing was laughable. I don’t know what to do. Is it crazy to spend money on upgrading? Has everything moved on too far?

The things I am contemplating are….

Rear shock service or replace – I feel it could be more ‘Intelligent’?

Fork replace – Currently has Fox Vanillas, the basic no messing old skool originals. 130mm of no fuss, never serviced relaibility.

Dropper Post – I really get tired of stopping to do the post… or chasing a mate up a hill with the post still down… feeling like a dirtjumper.

New wheels and axles (some sort of bolt through??). The stiffness feels pretty… not stiff?

I wonder what has really changed in 11 years? Could these changes give me a bike to compare with a new purchase? Or would i be better off keeping it as a muddy hack and buying new?

Appreciate any advice.

phiiiiil

Heh. My main bike is a 2004 HL 5-spot; I’ve given the bushings a thorough ignoring over the years and it’s still going strong! I’ve got a dropper on it and some new wheels should be turning up when superstar find any hubs. I feel like I really should replace it, but it still works fine, I can upgrade all manner of bits for much less than a whole new bike and I’ve no idea what I’d replace it with anyway, I still love riding it.

Maybe I’ll get it resprayed to fake that shiny new bike look and feel. Hmmm…

Stablebarns
    Free Member

I have no idea what I’d replace it with either. 🙂
    What post did u get? I can’t find much for a 27.2

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

KS do one in 27.2 flavour

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

2005 5 spot was my main bike, but it cracked at the chainstay just before Christmas. Been desperately searching for a replacement rear end, but no luck so far, gutted as I love that bike, frame is currently hung on the garage wall and I’m riding my hard tail all the time. I had a cheap rsp dropper on mine, with a ks southpaw remote, worked fine.

phiiiiil

One of the first gen x-fusion hilos. It’s been pretty good, only let down slightly by the naff lever that was replaced with something better ages ago (edit: a southpaw, as above). I should service it, really, I sometimes forget that not everything thrives on neglect quite as well as turner bushings…

I love having a dropper on it. Sometimes I worry that the bike is a bit too big – it’s a large, but I’m only average height – but then I whack the post down for a rocky descent and it turns into a nimble bmx and I remember why I love the bike and am in no rush to replace it just yet.

khani
    Free Member

Mine wouldn’t die, I retired it at 11 years old and went 29er but I’ve still got it and will never get rid of it..
    I loved it like no other…

chiefgrooveguru

I’d put a dropper post on it and leave the rest, unless you can pick stuff up cheap (like I have a 27.2mm dropper to sell once I get around to cleaning up my old bike). Bike geometry has changed a lot in the past decade, as have wheel, axle, steerer etc ‘standards’.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Your experience of Turner bushes is better than mine. Mine were done roughly every two years.

I had a h/l 5spot for nearly 7 years. In the end, the chainstau yoke cracked, and khani of this parish sorted Mr out with an old spare because Turner no longer carried them.

Great bike. I ran mine with 140mm forks, but by todays standards, it’s a bit steep and a bit short. IMO, it needs a better shock than it was originally specced from the out set to stop it riding like a dog dragging its arse on the ground.

All the other ‘modern standards’ are just incremental gains. You can get close with some smart component choices.

funkynick

Love my ’04 5 Spot, gets used for Wales, Peaks and Alps trips, and currently running modified 150mm Revs and a old Van R coil shock.

In general I find the geometry spot on for me, although was tempted to look into seeing if I can fit an angleset type thing after my last trip to the Alps… but not tempted enough to actually do anything more about it than look on the ‘net!

As for bushes, I grease them every now and again when I remember, and think I have changed them once since I bought the bike secondhand in about ’06.

I guess a dropper post might be nice, but then none of my other bikes have them either!

God knows what I’ll be able to replace it with when it does go to the big Turner graveyard in the sky… certainly couldn’t afford a new one!

jamiesilo
    Free Member

I’m of the replace the frame school when it comes to upgrading.
    Not that I’ve ever had a 5spot, but have slowly ungraded frame, then parts, then frame again over time. Not the most economic strategy but down to cash flow mainly. And some hope hubs have helped with changing standards.
    Anyway I just went from a 2008 pitch frame, which there was a lot of love for, to a 2012 YT wicked, and its night and day. Not that much changed, but rear through axle, tapered HT (tho still straight steerer) and newer geo really do seem to make a difference. At any rate bike has become a lot more future proof.

So anyway all I’m really saying is I would move on if I were you. Ideally you could pick up a bargain frame which is 2 to 3 years old and which you can still use most of you bits with (mine was £250). Then there’s the dropper etc etc to buy.
    But perhaps parts wise you are too far behind the curve already, and/or perhaps you don’t have much to spend?

Otherwise try to get ~950 quid together and pick up one of the barganous complete bikes on here. That makes most sense money- wise
    Scuse the ramble!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve got a White HL Six Pack sitting in the garage if anyone’s interested.

All solid.

Pair of Lyriks to go with it also.

Matt_SS_xc

Sold my 2005 5spot about 2 weeks ago.
    It was great, however you can no longer get any decent forks that aren’t tapered.
    If I could have put pikes on I would have kept it…..

Stablebarns
    Free Member

It’s like getting married to your high school sweat heart. She might be the best girl you will ever find… never need another… perfectly matched.

But then there are all these exotic women everywhere, with mysterious ways and alluring curves.

Should I just get some marriage counselling, in the form of a new rear shock, some new wheels forks? We could grow old happy together.

In all seriousness, the main issue I have is with the shock. Would a service or replacement make a difference? I regularly bottom out on larger drops/jumps and can see my riding buddies with newer bikes getting (what looks like) much more traction and less bob.

Any suggestions on best shock for that bike?

granny_ring

OP try a WC 1 degree headset it is a noticeable difference. Guess you could also use some burgtec offset mounts, I’ve not done that yet but will try when I get my spot built up again.

Agree that the frames a keeper though. 🙂

Re the shock, have you had yours ‘tuned’ by LoCo or others?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You could spend loads and still have an old frame/bike. I’d punt it on ebay and buy a new bike, you’ll be amazed how good even cheapish ones are!

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve still got my 2001 RFX. Bought a new bike to replace it last year which is ace, and I meant to strip my old RFX down and sell it but I…just…can’t – its too good and I’d get peanuts for it. I ride it occasionally and it still rocks, only thing the new bike has over it is longer top tube and more compatibility with current standards.
    So dunno what I’d advise – try a DT wheelset with 10mm through bolt QR to stiffen the rear end, maybe a set of offset bushings and maybe a cane creek DB inline shock if it will fit? Or just ride it…

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I loved my 2007 five spot- before it was nicked from my garage. Once it was gone insurance wouldn’t pay out and i’ve never been able to afford/find another since. If i were you i’d keep riding it till it really dies. Don’t worry about new wheel sizes etc. a good bike is a good bike. Maybe some 2nd hand Pikes and a thomson dropper?

dustytrails

Loved my 5spot (TNT) ’till some low life scum stole it….deffo a keeper!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help! My 5 spot refuses to die!’ is closed to new replies.