Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help! Motherboard died so can't visit STW
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

Yes, it’s STW but I need help as I am missing a dose of STW lately.

I have not been able to go online for several days now (well, am using work computer now …) due to two dead computers. What a bloody coincidence.

Could you recommend me an online website for a new motherboard please, one that is good with services and knowledge if possible.

My dead mobo is Gigabyte P55M-UD2. It died on me on Monday after 11 months usage and I need to send it back for repair. Bloody hassle.

So I am planning to get one that is reliable if that is possible. Yes, I will get a iMac say in 6 months time but not now.

I am thinking of the following new mobo.

1. Asus P7P55-M P55 Express Chipset (Socket 1156) DDR3 microATX Motherboard
    [90-MIBAW1-G0EAY0K]

2. Asus P7P55-M Motherboard Socket 1156 Intel P55 mATX RAID SATA Gigabit LAN
    [P7P55-M]

Question:

1. Could you tell me why the different manufacturing codes please? Many websites simply post different pics of the mobo.

2. Anyone use this version/brand? Reliable? I do not play game but do watch TV on it.

Heeeelllllppppp!

😐

Stoner
    Free Member

I have an asus P7H55 and despite some recent PC issues Ive posted about on here there’s only one that was the fault of the board…ish. Since its a micro ATX form factor I had a problem with fitting 2x PCI cards beneath a double sized PCI-e card. (I have a double tv card AND a sound card all stuffed under a double width nVidia graffix card – too many)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/video-card-fan-blocked

however, otherwise the card has been fine, and of course if you need to get mATX for your case then that’s what you need to go with.

Another thing to bear in mind though which I didnt find out until I was having the problem with the grafix card overheating was:

The Asus P7H55m Pro’s ‘onboard video’ is actually just support for the GPU that comes built in to Intel Core i3’s and some Core i5’s (these are the ‘Clarkdale’ line of processors). Higher end i5’s and Core i7’s are Lynnfield processors, and have no built in graphics processor. So the motherboards graphics will only work with Clarkdale processors.

I have a Lynnfield CPU.

My brother recently went for a phenom and socket 3 micro ATX, and he usually knows what he likes.

One lastr thing, someone asked here:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/after-a-new-cpu-for-my-pc

and some good advice was to consider a socket 1155 but I guess if you’re reusing the old cpu you dont have the option.

(EDIT and since improving the air flow to the cupboard and the fan settings my graffix card has ticked along fine at 50-56degrees with no failures despite having a “partially” blocked fan outlet)

Drac

What chip do you have as the board will depend on that?

Don’t bother repairing it’ll cost more than a new board.

chewkw
    Free Member

Folks,

Thanks for the reply. I have just been banned from OC*K forum for asking some questions related to mobo manufacturing code by posting competitors site. Did not mean to but was just asking some questions. Well, I learn my lesson …

Any idea of the difference between the manufacturing codes above?

As for the repair it’s under warranty so either they repair it or send me a new replacement, but I do not trust them a bit since they can say whatever they like, so let’s see …

I am only using one very low end ATI Radeon Rage (£30) graphic card and inside my case there are a heat extractor plus 6 fans & one water cooler for the CPU so that will cool the system down easy. My normal temp is around 26C to 27C during a warm day and 18C to 19C during winter.

I don’t intend to use a powerful graphic card at the moment so will only stick with one low end card, so I guess heat will not be an issue for now.

I have Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) – Retail[BX80605I5750]

This is the full specs … cost me bloody £1.5K

1. Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5″ SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (SSDSA2MH080G2K5)
    2. Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) – Retail

3. BenQ G2420HDBL 24″ Widescreen LED Monitor – Black

4. Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

5. Lian Li PC-V351R Alumiinium MicroATX Cube Case – Red

6. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium – Retail (Full Version)(GFC-00025)

7. Bloody faulty one ->Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 microATX Motherboard

8. Antec TruePower New Modular 550W Power Supply (now Blue Storm Pro 500)

9.Corsair Hydro H50-1 High-Performance CPU Watercooler (Socket LGA775/1155/1156/1366/AM2/AM3)

10. OcUK Value GeForce GT 240 512MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (replacing this with ATI Radean Rage 512mb)

So which mobo do I get and from where?

11.Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache – OEM (HD103SJ)

12. Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP 8x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Drive – Black (Retail)

13. Compro VideoMate DVB-T220 Digital TV Internal PCI – Retail

14. Arctic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compound (4g)

I need to use P55 mobo to resue all Core i5 750 so which mobo should I go for and from where?

Drac

A new machine then so Motherboard is still available probably so for ease of getting Windows to start up again with the least hassle I’d get the same motherboard.

And I’m really very puzzled at why you have such a good system and almighty shit gfx card, seems a complete waste. Overheating isn’t going to be issue because of the card and even more so if your CPU is water cooled.

devs
    Free Member

Ebay the model number of your existing number. Buy from somewhere with good feedback. Replace. No HAL issues – sorted. You also won’t have activation issues which can be a right pain.

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    A new machine then so Motherboard is still available probably so for ease of getting Windows to start up again with the least hassle I’d get the same motherboard.

New machine! Are you kidding! No way after spending so much. As for going back to the same brand mobo that too is out of the question now because that particular model is lousy. Too many bells & whistles by trying too hard. Just ordered ASUS P7P55-M this morning so will arrive tomorrow. Let’s see.

Now I just hope I don’t have to reinstall the OS again as I don’t want to go through the hassle of losing some of my browser bookmarks (yes, I forgot to back up two weeks ago … damn!)

Actually, there are not much being installed in my previous OS just the followings: Drivers, anti-spywares/virus, CoreTemp, FF browser, PDF-Exchange and Microsoft Office (legit version). No RAID. I think that’s about all really so I guess the system is not that complicated at the moment I hope.

And I’m really very puzzled at why you have such a good system and almighty shit gfx card, seems a complete waste. Overheating isn’t going to be issue because of the card and even more so if your CPU is water cooled.

I will install an “expensive gfx card” at a later date if I have the time to play some games but not at the moment.

🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

devs – Member
    Ebay the model number of your existing number. Buy from somewhere with good feedback. Replace. No HAL issues – sorted. You also won’t have activation issues which can be a right pain.

I have sent the mobo back to them so let’s see. Still don’t trust them until I see the repair in future.

What is “HAL issues”? Sorry I don’t know the terminology so could you explain please.
    Are you referring to the aspect of incompatiblity as in HAL?

I thought Win& 64bits Home Premium is rather “intelligent”? No? So all I need is to do a repair by inserting the OS DVD to let it correct itself? Well, I only need to have enough time salvage some data (bookmarks) that’s all.

What do you think? Feedback please.

Cheers

🙂

p/s: I have two harddrives on my PC. The OS & programmes are all installed on the SSD while all data to the normal HDD. Worst case scenario is to do clean installation … arrghhhh … what do you think?

Drac

If the chipset don’t match then you’ll need to do a reinstall of windows and reactivate windows. Of course you could buy the same Motherboard to avoid all this or you could be stubborn order a different one and say goodbye to your last install.

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    If the chipset don’t match then you’ll need to do a reinstall of windows and reactivate windows. Of course you could buy the same Motherboard to avoid all this or you could be stubborn order a different one and say goodbye to your last install.

I am not going back to the same mobo again so have decided to go for a different brand. i.e. from Gigabyte P55M-UD2 to Asus P7P55-M.

All I am doing now is moving All the parts from the previous mobo set up to the new mobo. Received the mobo this afternoon and finished building it up about 3 hours ago. But being a bit stubbord I tried to boot it up, as in repair, but it never gone being the Windows start page. A quick blue screen and I was back to BIOS screen …

Guess I will need to reformat the SSD and then to reinstall the OS again. Never done reactivation so just hope it could be painless. i.e. for Win7 64bits OS, Microsoft Office 2010 and anti-malwares software. Will reuse the last OS as I bought the Retail version and I hope the process will be the same for Microsoft Office.

With new installation that means I will loose most of my setting especially some bookmarks but apart from that everything is being back up.

Anyway … hope to get my system up and running by next week. 😥

chewkw
    Free Member

Woohooo … system is up and running but plenty of updates etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help! Motherboard died so can't visit STW’ is closed to new replies.