Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me with a noise!
  • wittonweavers
    Free Member

Ok, apologies in advance as i’m not that technically minded!

I have a Zesty 327AM 2014 mountain bike and its making a dreadful racket!

I gave it a good clean down earlier and put it on the workstand to investigate. The noise is coming from the back wheel hub and sounds like a grating / scraping noise which is apparemt when i turn the cranks in a forward direction. It doesnt happen if i turn them backwards which makes me think its related to the cassette.

Tomorrow night i am planning to take the wheel off, remove the cassette and clean and grease it. Do you think this is likely to solve the issue or is it more likely to be something more complicated?

Or as is suspect, have i failed to give enough info for any reasonable diagnosis!!

Thanks – if you have any (sensible) pointers / suggestions then they will probably be very welcome!

coatesy
    Free Member

If it’s not your brake disc/pads, then it’ll most likely be the hub bearings, they’re the two things that only move when you pedal in one direction and not the other.My money’s on worn out pads causing metal to metal contact.

Bregante

When you washed it, you didn’t use a jetwash did you?

Do you have Formula brakes? Has the metal brake pad retaining clip worn and bent back on itself, trapping it between the pad & rotor?

No big deal if it has, it will soon shear off.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I’m fairly confident that the noise isn’t coming from the brakes. I do use a jetwash ‘carefully’ but I’m also well aware that the grit on the west pennine moors is notorious!

Assuming it’s hub bearings, what are the implications? Ta

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

that depends on the hub witton. Some hubs are much easier to repair / replace the bearings than others.

What wheels are they?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

They are Mavic XM 319 Rims with a rear hub – Formula Dht142 32H Black 12X142Mm + Xqr-12-La Thru Axle

all as per here

I have only had it since April…

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I’m fairly confident that the noise isn’t coming from the brakes.

Metal clip holding the brake pads was broken! I’m hopeless i really am! 😳

Bregante

God help us if either of us gets a mechanical tomorrow 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

glad it;s sorted!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me with a noise!’ is closed to new replies.