Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • help me understand android file system and storage ..just can't get it!
  • kaiser
    Free Member

I not very tech savvy but can use windows reasonably well and do what i want.
    with my android tablet and phone however i can use a lot of the menus etc but when it comes to the file system and storage I’m completely confused …it’s SO different .I mean things like emulated/sdcard/sdcard1 etc etc . i really need an idiots guide as i spend ages trying to find my way around/moving files/trying to organise .can anyone offer a bit of advice? I bought the usual whsmith guides to android mags but they don’t explain this kind of stuff. really want to learn as it’s frustrating me like hell.
    thanks in advance
    bill

xora

When you find out explain it to those of us who work on Android for our jobs 🙂

Its an area where Google seriously fscked up.

Anyway basically emulated/sdcard/sdcard0 are the internal storage in your device, all the names link to the same thing. This is the place that tends to fill up rapidly as its the default for apps. Some sane apps allow you to choose SD card to use for storage.

sdcard1 is the card in the slot in your device.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ah. Yes, I’m being a bit thick. Ignore me.

mda

Check out the Android apps ‘Computer’ and ‘File Manager’.

Then Google ‘How to manage files and use the file system on Android’ – the How-To Geek website has a good section on this.

poly
    Free Member

It’s not particularly complex, it is essentially a Linux (or indeed any *nix) type approach. Google a few tutorials on Linux file paths and it should make sense.

Where it can get a bit confusing on Android is when the device is connected to a computer, it probably automatically mounts the sd card to the PC, which makes it no longer available to android. Some sensible android security provisions also limit what you can do unless the device is rooted.

Cougar

What are you trying to “organise” exactly? Stick your media in a folder called “Music” or whatever is appropriate, and leave the rest alone before you bugger it up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘help me understand android file system and storage ..just can't get it!’ is closed to new replies.