Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me to use my eTrex again.
  • the00
    Free Member

It’s been many years seince I used my Garmin eTrex GPS for following a route, but I’ve dug it out the drawer for a ride on the weekend that I’ve not done before. Trouble is that I can’t work out how load a route onto the unit to navigate from…

I used to use some clunky Garmin software, but I don’t have that anymore. I think I could download Garmin Basecamp, but I’d prefer not to (it’s big and probably crap for just one task, and it wil be difficult on work laptop without admin rights etc.) – is there a web based option?

I’ve tried BikeHike, but it wont work – do I need a plugin?
    I’ve tried GPSU, but it wont work – do I need a plugin?
    I’ve tried using the GPS as a mass storage device, and dragging and dropping the file over. That din’t work as I couldn’t see the route on the unit…

Suggestions appreciated.

nemesis
    Free Member

IIRC you just drag and drop a GPX file into the right folder on the unit – IIRC it’s the ‘GARMIN’ folder but you’ll need to check that. Also once it’s there, I think you need to create a route which then allows you to select the GPX file

the00
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve never used routes before, I’ve only used tracks. Is creating a route on the unit straight forward?

andytherocketeer

gpsbabel should help transfer the files (it’s free on Linux, and afaik there’s a windows version, but no idea about mac)

drag/drop in to Garmin folder via usb mass storage only works for maps, assuming it’s an older type etrex, and also assuming it’s a model that does maps.

nemesis
    Free Member

route/track wasn’t a distinction I was making but essentially, the unit reads your GPX file and converts it to something else – it may well be that you can do that bit via gpsbabel or similar outside of the unit.

the00
    Free Member

GPS Babel install needs admin rights too 🙁

timba
    Free Member

It might refuse a route with too many route points (etrex 10/20/30 limit is 250)

Downloading maps, routes and tracks direct to the etrex can be slow, quicker to use a microSD direct in the PC and then plug it into the etrex (if yours can take an extra card)

andytherocketeer

was assuming the etrex is a pre-10/20/30 model (eg a Vista or similar) ?
    if so, then copying gpx on to the SD card doesn’t work (although you can get it so auto save all track data there, and copy off the sd card).
    to load routes/tracks you need to transfer it to the garmin using the garmin protocol (ie via basecamp, gpsbabel, etc.)
    newer ones you can do mass storage or pop the sd card out and copy with a card reader.

butcher

It might refuse a route with too many route points (etrex 10/20/30 limit is 250)

On the current Etrex, it doesn’t get refused….just cuts the route short. I found out the hard way! Always check the full route is there before heading out now.

Easier to save as a track to be on the safe side. You just don’t get the bleeps to tell you that your on course.

Just put the route/track in the GPX folder to save it.

If we’re talking about an older Etrex, I don’t know.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How old is it? My y2k one is a pain as I spend hours trying to connect it via a serial port. Doesn’t have a card either. If its that age, find out how to connect it and remember that it will only hold 50wp.

the00
    Free Member

Thanks all. It does have SD card for maps, but I can’t just save the GPX file there to bring up on the device. So I think it needs to go through the Garmin protocol. Is there a web based way of doing this that does not need software on my PC?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me to use my eTrex again.’ is closed to new replies.