Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • help me spend money!!!!!
  • niallmb
    Free Member

So…..

about 2 months ago, I sold my car and decided to commute by bike. I’m currently riding my specialized hardrock on nobbly tyres for my commute and want an upgrade/something more appropriate

I’ve looked at the option of putting something slicker on tyres wise but the bottom line is I need my nobblies for the weekends and evenings and don’t want to be changing tyres or wheels every 2 mins. The other reason is I’d like something with better gear ratio’s for road as most of the commute is reasonably large roads with fast moving traffic and at the minute I’m spinning top gear no issues for at least 50%

Budget is £500, could stretch to £600 if necessary. My commute is 100% road.

but….

I’m not a small bloke!!! I am 6 foot 5 and at the start of the year I was just over 23 stone. I am now 19 stone 3 and aiming to keep losing but my concern is that a road bike is going to do an impression of origami the minute i hit a pothole.

I’ve looked into the cyclocross options but they all seem to be above budget and I really can’t stretch the budget any further than £600.

do I just buy another MTB and fit it with slicks or do I keep getting frustrated with the specialized until I’m light enough to not destroy a road bike

thoughts and general mockery appreciated

valleydaddy
    Free Member

29er

bargain put some skinnies on and job done

flip
    Free Member

Buy second hand?

donsimon
    Free Member

+1 29er or a tourer.

niallmb
    Free Member

29er looks interesting. Presumably the gearing is still very MTB. Does the extra 3 inches make a massive difference to cruising speed? (just re-read that but can’t be bothered changing it!!!)

I have been thinking about 2nd hand and have no issues with it except for the fact my height means I need a country gate of a frame and there seem to be very few out there. currently riding a 21 inch frame and I’m pretty much maxing out my seat tube. ANyone know anywhere good to find 2nd hand cyclocross???

valleydaddy
    Free Member

the Voodoo is spot on no hasssle with worn parts etc if it was me and for commuting I would buy it 😉

bol

I know where there’s a very nice big cross bike in your size going for £600 posted. 😉

The frame, fork (Kinesis Pro5 and Kinesis Evo full carbon fork) and drivetrain are used, but good condition. The wheels and finishing kit are all brand new unused. Email me for more details if you’re interested. (mail in profile).

niallmb
    Free Member

email sent bol

Northwind

My commuter cost me £50. Check out Gumtree and the like and see what you can find, ancient mountain bikes with slicks end up being pretty similiar to today’s hybrids, and they’re cheap to run and not likely to get nicked.

Not sure what to do with the remaining £500. Hookers?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘help me spend money!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.