Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • help me set my fox forks up plese!!
  • renton
    Free Member

ive got an enduro with fox float rl 150mm forks on it.

im having problems in setting them up??

i can set the sag ok at near enough the fox recommended pressure of 120 psi.

the problem with this is that im getting nowhere near full travel, so ive let a bit more air out and im geting a bit more travel but a lot more sag??

also after ging down hill a bit im getting terrible arm/wrist ach from trying to hold on??

i have the rebound set at halfway and air pressure is at 100psi now(although still not geting full travel??)

a mate has suggested wacking the rebound up to the fastest setting for fast paced singltrack/downhill?? is this right??

any ideas??

cheers

steve

Big-Bud
    Free Member

100 psi is a lot.what model fox are they & what is your weight.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno if they work the same as rock shox but do they have a negative pressure valve? If so this needs to be lower than positive, otherwise you won't get full travel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dano
    Free Member

Is it the fit model? If so you could lower the air pressure and increase the low speeed compression dampening, and this will make the fork softer through all the travel, but running less sag…

renton
    Free Member

cheers for the replies….

they are 09 models so not the fit version.

only have one air valve.

for my weight of 113 kgs the recommended air pressure is 120psi

i cant get no where near full travel with this??

could it be too much oil?

LoCo
    Free Member

Try a bit more sag, 33% is a good start point try rebound 2 or clicks off full slow, too quick and it'll cause numb hands.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dano – Member

Is it the fit model? If so you could lower the air pressure and increase the low speeed compression dampening, and this will make the fork softer through all the travel, but running less sag…

this is wrong – lower air pressure will increase sag. Increasing compression damping has no effect on springrates

dano
    Free Member

it is very hard for fox to recommend the right pressure for a fork and weight, it really is only a guideline.
    The main thing is that it will change from bike to bike and rider to rider.
    stem length and head angle really affect the amount of weight over the front of the bike and how much you load up the front end.
    Even with the perfect set up, you should never or very rarely use all the travel and bottom out, it really is good to only use 80 or 90% of the travel

Onzadog
    Free Member

I found similar with my 2006 Float R forks so I cut the piston rod down to increase the size of the air chamber and make the spring curve more linear. Worked a treat. Only have to take 10mm off to feel a difference. I'm about 100kg kitted up and only use 70 psi in mine. 120 sounds a bit high. I've always felt that fox are a bit stingy with sag. Something closer to the 30% mark works better for me. Might be worth playing with oil weights as well if you're a big bigger than the typical rider the fork is designed for. Maybe try a 10wt.

renton
    Free Member

even with less air pressure the fork is still ramping up at the end of its travel.

also with less air pressure the fork feels crap and will blow through the travel it has very quickly??

could it have too much oil inside them??

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've not been inside the 09 but with the 06 I have, oil volume has minimal effect. It's the air spring volume that causes the ramping. That's why I cut the piston rod down to increase the volume of the air spring. You'll never stop and air spring ramping up at the end but you can reduce the effect by increasing the volume of the chamber.

renton
    Free Member

onza dog do you fancy giving me a step by step guide on what to do??

email in profile

cheers

steve

IA

Before you starting chopping the forks up, try running less air than you think, and more damping than you think.

Start with rebound full slow and work back from that – it WILL feel slow in the carpark-test, but that's nothing like riding on a trail.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It's not as hard as it sounds.
    Take the air side apart.
    The piston is connected to the rod by a small spring pin.
    Pop that out.
    Trim 10mm off the rod
    drill a hole for the spring pin
    Refit piston
    Put the forks back together.
    Test forks.
    Still not happy?
    Repeat process.

If it all goes horribly wrong, buy a new rod from Mojo and give up or start again.

Good luck.

possum-hunter

I have just put a set of float RL 140's on a new build and am running them with 55 pounds pressure, then again I only weigh 63kg, getting 120mm travel without extreme use with about 30mm of sag.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘help me set my fox forks up plese!!’ is closed to new replies.