Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help me please o wizards of STW. new frame issues….cheers
  • walla24
    Free Member

Hello folks, new carbon frame has arrived but the standard 1 1/8th aheadset i had lined up looks way too small? even though the frame is spec'd as taking 1 1/8th forks.
    There are already cups in the top and bottom of the frame, does this mean it needs a semi integrated headset/integrated headset or something else?

The frame is almost 2" across and the cup is sunk about half inch down.
    Pics:

Thanks!

fatboyjon

You need an integrated 1 1/8" headset.

walla24
    Free Member

def not a semi?
    (cheers)

lipseal
    Free Member

With you fatboyjon

walla24
    Free Member

ok cool thank you.
    hmm looking for one now and they are (correct me if i'm wrong) sold according to "OD" which is outer diameter…50mm in this case.
    But i cant find any for 50mm?

fatboyjon

The headset bearings need to sit directly into the frame, hence integrated, rather than sitting in internal cups which would be an internal headset. There are different shaped bearings depending on the angle of the surfaces in your frame. Any decent LBS should have a tool to measure the angles and then be able to sell you the right headset.

lipseal
    Free Member

[ell]
    Would that be tell or yell? 😆

so it was sell!

walla24
    Free Member

ah man looks so complicated upon further research! 😥 and so able to cause damage to my frame if i get it wrong!
    defo off to my lbs.
    cheers all

foxyrider
    Free Member

Integrated – the bearings will just sit in those recesses 🙂

What frame is it – the manufacturer will help you or we/you can find it on their website?

lipseal
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Surely the first port of call is the place you bought the frame from? They should be able to tell you exactly what you need. I know Saracen could when I need a similar headset!

What's the frame?

walla24
    Free Member

ahem…it was a cheap carbon frame from a dubious manufacturor in china 😮 i couldnt afford a proper one.
    I have mailed them, usually get a good response.
    one of these (no laughing please) it actually looks fairly decent

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm – ask on here on a new post – post it up a piccy of the frame (you don't need to be embarrassed) – someone will know 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Quite what was wrong with regular headsets with cups and bearings I will never know.

Seriously what are the advantages of the integrated design?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheaper, quicker to fit and design? weight?

FASHION & LOOKS 🙂 – think emi and std headsets are far better 🙂

Cougar

Headsets confuse the proverbial out me; can anyone recommend some (online) reading that explains all this stuff?

timmys

Cougar – Member
    Headsets confuse the proverbial out me; can anyone recommend some (online) reading that explains all this stuff?

I found this useful when I was trying to work out if i needed integrated or semi-integrated (and that intergral, semi-intergrated and zero stack were all the same thing).

http://www.hopetech.com/database/Hope%20Technology%20Headset%20guide.pdf

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help me please o wizards of STW. new frame issues….cheers’ is closed to new replies.