Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
  • dizzy85
    Free Member

HI IM IN NEED OF NEW SUS FORKS AND AM STUCK BETWEEN TO FORKS CAN ANY 1 GIVE ME THERE THORTS ON MANITOU AXEL COMP AND A PAIR OF MANITOU RAPID TRAVEL ADJUST.THANKS

Rorschach
    Free Member

STOP SHOUTING……THOUGHTS NOT THORTS….YOU’RE WELCOME.

wwaswas

MOVE AWAY FROM THE CAPS LOCK KEY.

rapid travel adjust just means you can change how much travel the forks have – if you don’t need it then that’s just one more thing to go wrong and add weight.

McHamish
    Free Member

Pardon?

dizzy85
    Free Member

sorry lol so witch would you guys suggest as i am getting them quite cheap

wwaswas

how much travel do you need, what length steerer do you need and what condition are the forks in.

whichever of the two best meets the above conditions.

dizzy85
    Free Member

probably the axel comp i think hers the description…. 2004 MANITOU AXEL COMP FLUID FLOW SUSPENSION FORKS

WORK GREAT AND LOOK STUNNING TOO.

THEY ARE FOR DISC BRAKE ONLY AND THEY HAVE 100MM TRAVEL.

THE STEERER TUBE IS 1 18TH AND IS 750MM LONG WITH A STAR NUT FITTED

THEY HAVE A FEW MARKS FROM USE BUT NOTHING MAJOR..

Liftman

Which not witch

donsimon
    Free Member
    dizzy85
    Free Member

what do you think thanks….nice pic

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Does dizzy85 refer to your state of mind and the number of words you can spell?

dizzy85
    Free Member

funny lmao

mieszko
    Free Member

OK so quick answer and a attempt at a serious answer.

Manitou Axels are not that great fork. Rock Shox Tora is much better, Fluid Flow damping although has adjustable rebound it doesn’t make much difference. Small 28mm uppers, very flexy, crap seals if it has the mini boots style ones. Heavy and will stop working if not looked after.

Manitou Rapid Travel is not a fork model it’s a system of adjustable travel, kind of ok but when You adjust the travel down it stiffens up the spring. Was replaced with Rapid Travel Wind Down which is much better.

So Axels are average to at most and the second fork You were offered is not really a fork model so can’t say much about it.

dizzy85
    Free Member

thanks very much for some 1 who actually stays on the subject instead of making silly little giddy jokes on a word or two spelt wrong. THANK YOU mieszko well appreciated

Bushwacked
    Free Member

That’s some steerer!

aracer
    Free Member

You do realise that if you used a spell-checker and learnt how to use the shift/caps-lock keys properly (I’m sure one of your teachers will help if you ask nicely) you might get rather more in the way of useful responses on here?

dizzy85
    Free Member

How do you mean about the steerer

wwaswas

750mm of steerer is very long – most brand new forks only have a 250-300mm steerer on them.

have you measured the steerer on your broken forks?

dizzy85
    Free Member

yes its about 210mm

Bushwacked
    Free Member

On your other posts you’ve been offered some good(for the price) forks. I’d tap them up if I was you.

Oh and while I’m posting, welcome to the site – ignore all the clowns, well in fact ignore everyone

dizzy85
    Free Member

where do i find them if you don’t mind telling me as im new to this site

singletrackmind

On Bike Magic?

dizzy85
    Free Member

take it that’s a different website

z1ppy

Well I assumed Bushwacked meant this thread:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/suspension-forks-1
    unless that was very tongue in cheek STM?

see where it says “member” next to you name?
    It shows your profile & site history (threads posted to and threads started), check your old posts out.. like the one linked above

If you click on either of the posters on that thread, offering you a fork, “members” link, you’ll find there history of posts on here, and can at least take a guess as to whether there worth dealing with them… do they only sell kit here? Is this there first post? If they’ve been about a while, and have sold stuff before, you can maybe assume they won’t scam you..
    S’not a bad system eh?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

See your user name against your last post, click where it says member and youll be linked to your other posts.

z1ppy

PS: the Suntour fork only has a 193mm steerer, but did your bike have any spacers above or below the stem?
    You ‘could’ remove a couple of these to make the fork fit..

dizzy85
    Free Member

yes found them thanks allot that’s how much iv been offered the other MANITOU AXEL COMP’S for £30 i reckon i should pick them over the sr xcm’s

z1ppy

dunno IIRC the XCM are at least quite recent (and have no V-brake mounts & an “POST” mount disc bracket btw), where-as the axel’s are definitely quite old.. neither are great forks, but you’ve a limit budget as mentioned

It really depends on the steerer length you bike needs and the one on either Axel’s, as your “SHOUTED” ad above doesn’t tell you the correct steerer length (750mm is too long to be real)

dizzy85
    Free Member

yes iv got 15mm of spacers so that makes it 195mm and there 193mm suppose 2mm shouldn’t make a difference should it

BigJohn

It’s not half term until next week is it?

dizzy85
    Free Member

but cant you cut the steerer down

z1ppy

1) that 2mm (or more) you’ll need to take up the slack of the headset when you put the forks on, so might be worth adding in a 5mm (or smaller) spacer too. The top cap pulls the forks up into the bikes headtube/headset, so you need a gap underneath the cap (max of about 4-5mm?).

Remember if you remove these spacers from below your stem, your bike front end (handlebars) is gunna feel lower, might be fine, but worth mentioning

2) If you talking about this “750mm” figure, it’s rubbish, it simply can’t be/isn’t true*.

*Please no one go and prove me wrong on this, with some custom madness, for the point of this thread I’m right, ok?

wwaswas

tempting though it is zippy1 I think it’s probably best not to complicate things further…

z1ppy

I know, not sure if I’m helping or causing more issues? 😳

What worse is just sitting on the side lines watching (I purposely stayed off earlier), as it’s what’s either a fanatistic troll or very enthusiastic newbie.

dizzy85
    Free Member

i have just emailed the person selling the axel’s and asked him to measure the steerer again just got to wait and see what he mails back

MentalMickey
    Free Member

This is quite a good thread, keep it going. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

You are MarkDatz and I claim my £5. Paypal gift please!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Lol @ bigyinn, proper PMSL!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I hopes he’s a patient enthusiastic newbie, he could be a useful addition to the collective. Resistance is futile….

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘HELP ME PLEASE!!!!’ is closed to new replies.