Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help me plan a trip to Scotland..
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

Last year I went to Scotland, stayed near Mabie, and rode at Kirroughtree, Glentress, Innerleithen, Ae, Dalbeattie and Drumlanrig. I want to do another similar trip, but was wondering whether its definitely worth the extra driving to try some of the northern trail centres? I’d most likely be going on my own so would prefer trail centres as it seems a bit safer. If the northern trails are worth the driving, which would you recommend and why, and where’s a good place to stay? I most enjoyed Innertleithen and Ae when I was last there – dont know if that gives you any indication to riding style? Thanks!

grimupnorth
    Free Member

hello,

innerleithen, glentress are usually busy, busy, busy.

head a good bit further north, further up past inverness to a place called golspie.

golspie is the home of the highland wildcat 🙂

http://www.highlandwildcat.com/

I’m based in aberdeen have done all the bike/trail centres in scotland……golspie (IMO) rules 🙂

the descent from the top of ben bhraggie is longest decent in the uk.

no idea about B&B’s we usually head up and back in the same day….approx 3hr drive each way.

if you do head up north then also look in past the black isle, to a place called Learnie…http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6NZE9W

balblair is also good.

as I say not sure about B&B, usually we drive there & back on the same day.

fochabers and the moray monster trails are also worth a spin.

cheers pal

NB: if you do decide to visit golspie remember and give the statue at the top o the hill the one finger salute 😉

grimupnorth
    Free Member

and afore I forget balblair…..or is it learnie is the only place I’ve ever seen skull n cross bones type symbols beside the black graded runs 😀

grimupnorth
    Free Member

oh and if you fancy a REAL challenge, we’ve millstone hill just outside aberdeen….one particular decent off this hill is just pure mentality……if innerleithen & glentrees have black runs…..then the one I’m talking about is triple black 😀

big hit madness from top to bottom.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do some natural stuff as well – pick your route and its no issue to go on your own.

Laggan the only one of the northern trail centres I have been to and its great. There is good “natural” ring around there as well that would be feasible – round Lochan na Hearba with a possibility of an extra loop of hiakabike and singletrack on a scenic double track route or the corryairak just as examples.

Its certainly worth going north into the highlands soimewhere

Diane
    Free Member

Look up Balblair too.And Drumlanrig on your way up and trails at Comrie Croft:-)

Diane
    Free Member

Sounds interesting grimupnorth 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I forgot comrie croft – a little gem. Don’t take long but has a really nice feel

lexiekay
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions – i’d heard of laggan and golspie, but not comrie croft so will add that to the list!

grimupnorth
    Free Member

if your coming a fair distance then have a look in past fochabers also….http://www.mtb-highland.com/Moray-Monster-g.asp

loads of B&B’s up that way……you’ll also get a fine bowl o soup in baxters 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

Please broaden your horizons, pull out an OS map, and do some proper Scottish mountain biking.

You’ve done some trail centres, so time to grow up and actually go mountain biking.

sangobegger
    Free Member

There is also a Nifty wee trail at Badaguish near Aviemore.Give Bothy bikes a shout for advice.However using Inverness as a base you have Golspie,Laggan,Learnie, the Puffer,Balblair and even Fort willam within easy reach.Bed and Breakfast is easy to pick up anywhere and everywhere.For an outstanding stay, go to Carbisdale castle at Balblair near Bonar Bridge.Its part of the SYA and is pretty dammned impressive.

cinnamon_girl

lexiekay – am going next year with a friend to ride the Corrieyairack Pass. You’re more than welcome to join us, haven’t decided what else to do yet but I’m only interested in natural trails.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Waderider – Member

Please broaden your horizons, pull out an OS map, and do some proper Scottish mountain biking.

You’ve done some trail centres, so time to grow up and actually go mountain biking.

Harsh – But fair

Tee hee

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>the descent from the top of ben bhraggie is the longest trail centre decent in the uk.<

Fixed that for you;-)

Golspie, Laggan etc are great but you’d have to be off your chump to ignore the (far better) riding on offer on the way up. Would be like a Climber driving past the Gorms to get to Ratho…

grimupnorth
    Free Member

——

I’m with ye, I’ve not listed every single trail/run I’ve done up here but as per the OP listed trail centres….so I’ve done no proper mtb’ing? 😀

are you for real? 😀

Waderider
    Free Member

are you for real?

Well yes. It may be a keyboard warrior / internet plonker type statement (lets face it, there are lots of them hereabouts), but in this case it also true.

Look upon it as a motivational service.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Jeez I was only asking a simple question. I do a lot of ‘natural’ xc thanks, just that if I have a few days only, and dont know the area at all, and am planning on going on my own when potential for getting lost, injured or whatever is higher, I thought maybe trail centres would be the best option. Wont bother asking next time.

Waderider
    Free Member

just that if I have a few days only

Calm down, ask the question next time. You got the proper answer.

A few days only? When I started coming to Scotland I only did weekend trips from Ireland……more awkward than coming from England………and I managed to plan and do natural trails. Of course there were no trail centres then. So frankly, I think you’re just being lazy, and cowardly. Push your limits a bit.

Conversely, if you just want do trail centres, what odds is it to me or anyone else. As I said, I think you got a good answer to the original question.

In my experience trail centres don’t have anywhere near as much regional character as a natural trail. No point travelling past lots of trail centres just to get to the furthest away one. Unless there is a new sport called ‘trail centre bagging’ that I’m unaware off?

grimupnorth
    Free Member

Well yes. It may be a keyboard warrior / internet plonker type statement (lets face it, there are lots of them hereabouts),

– I’m guessing you would be an expert on that? 😉

experts like you on these forums always gie me a good laugh XD

lexie, you do the type of riding that suits you. If you come up north have a blast at golspie and to hell with what the mtb polis say….have fun pal 🙂

poly
    Free Member

Jeez I was only asking a simple question. I do a lot of ‘natural’ xc thanks, just that if I have a few days only, and dont know the area at all, and am planning on going on my own when potential for getting lost, injured or whatever is higher, I thought maybe trail centres would be the best option. Wont bother asking next time.

I’m not convinced you’ll be any safer at a trail centre. Almost, everyone I know who’s ended up in Hospital whilst mountainbiking has done it at a trail centre – they instill an artificial confidence. The more remote trail centres are, except in peak season/weekends, unlikely to be busy – you could quite possibly be lying with your broken leg for several hours before anyone passes. You may be slightly less likely to get lost – but its not difficult to read an OS map, and (although I’ll get flamed for suggesting you do this without being able to read an OS map too) GPS is available cheaply (for less than the cost of the fuel for driving from Glentress to Golspie and back) and there are many well publicised popular “classic” routes.

I think the point is that to sit in a car for an extra 5 hours or so to get from the Borders to Golspie, you’ll have driven past some great riding. I’m not anti-trail centre I think they are great especially for poor weather when natural trail errosion is a problem, if you want or need to pack maximum MTBing into a small area, or you want maximum technical riding and high speeds all the time (which might not be possible on mixed use paths etc). However personally I prefer true “wilderness” riding. Trail centres are useful as it helps keep the “wilderness” quiet!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help me plan a trip to Scotland..’ is closed to new replies.