• This topic has 43 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by timba.
Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Help me manage Windows 10 updates?
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

Does anyone else have an issue with Win10 updates where the computer gives a near perfect impression of having gone wrong (dead start menu / loss of icons on desktop and taskbar / unable to start programs) for just long enough that you think the evening is to be spent fixing the damn thing – only for it to eventually revert to normal? Really annoying, though less so than actually going wrong.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Well, that’s interesting – switch on the PC last night and despite updates being disabled, the service has been re-enabled and I have a Windows 10 “Feature update” waiting to install! Plus a load of other updates (which I know will wreck my graphics display!) Bastards.
    I shall Google and find out why/how they’ve done this…

theres a registry edit but really …i think there be demons in that one

i have never had any updates after disabling but i never got to 1709 release which is the creators super dooper fall update or something?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m getting the impression that if you put less effort into buggering about with it then it would give you less hassle in return. Windows does not update every day, once a week if you’re lucky. If it’s having trouble getting updates to stick perhaps letting it do them may help.

Out of interest, are these upgraded or preinstalled versions? My desktop was a virgin build and has been flawless whilst my laptop was preinstalled and has occasional moments. Never broken an update but does run badly on occasion.

Welshfarmer – look at your brother in laws OneDrive settings. Penny to a pound it’s the synching on startup that’s hogging your bandwidth. Either synch it manually or disable it altogether.

timba
    Free Member

@DezB
    Windows 10 will reverse some personalised settings when it updates, which might explain your issue

@speckie
    Try running Linux Mint “live” from USB/DVD
    It’ll cost you 1.8GB for the full download (you can buy the media too), or get someone to do it for you
    If you like it, install it from the same media; the updates are all graded with the security updates clearly marked, and you choose which ones to install
    Not all computers will let you run it easily due to security settings so it can be a faff to sort that out initially

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Help me manage Windows 10 updates?’ is closed to new replies.