Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Help me – hand pain numbness when riding :(
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

AT sits my right hand went numb/cold like severe pins and needles. I was suing carbon bars and foam grips btw
    Last night – first ride since and the same happened again (alu bars and normal rubber lock ons)
    I am wearing spesh BG gloves with the padding

does this sound like an ulnar nerve thing (its in the heel of my hand where it starts)?
    Any ideas about sorting it?

hels
    Free Member

Something similar happened to me many years ago on road rides. Diagnosis was trapped nerve in my neck/shoulders. Change of position and a couple of neck massages sorted it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

doctors?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

it will have to come off

hora
    Free Member

RR, what size is the frame, length of stem and your height? Your about the same height as me and your frame is a 18"?

Have you tried rotating the bars forward abit?

Could it be that your getting used to a hardtail again so you are overly gripping the grips too hard on descents like I do!

flebby
    Free Member

Could be too much padding, I used to get the same thing, then started using gloves with less pad and never get it now.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hora the first time it happened was on teh trance mate

sharki
    Free Member

you're 2 inches too tall for the bike. there's two options, amputation or change of bike.

ergons or fat grips may help, but as mentioned its likely to be spinal. So look into different set ups with the cockpit.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hora the first time it happened was on teh trance mate

hora
    Free Member

Try different grips- Ive just bought the thick rubber raceface good and evil

yoshimi

If you dont want to change bikes try and pick up some cheap ergons off the classifieds just to see if they make a diffrence. I found they are so much comfier on longer rides.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

surely if it was grip related it would be both hands? Tried foam, lizard skins lockons, and now super star lock ons, happens with all 3 (2 different bikes and cockpits). Only just started though ….

hora
    Free Member

Im no expert but is your right arm your dominant arm?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

**** arm – yes 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

I get it in my left hand but I'm right handed. It starts about an hour onto a ride but not every ride, I've tried different gloves etc but still get it might need a mechanical arm fitting. I just put it down to old age.

lipseal
    Free Member

Forgot to mention that when it get too uncomfortable and I take my hand off the bars it feels like i get a sudden rush of blood to my hand FIIK?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

If it is in the palm side of most fingers probably not ulnar nerve. More likely to be median and carpal tunnel – espescially if your thumb is not really involved.

Google "reverse Phalens test" and try it.

On my non FS bikes I use race Face Good & Evil grips for the extra padding to avoid CTS.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lipseal +1

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just done the reverse phalens test and nowt happened. It is just numbness in the little and ring finger plus side of hand (palm part)

hora
    Free Member

Nope but I looked a right pillock in the office

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just realised it is also whilst using my laptop – grrr

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

RR Ok – that does sound much more ulna nerve or cervical nerve root. Less likely to be a quick fix possible.

Time to see GP and get examined/referred

hora
    Free Member

just realised it is also whilst using my laptop – grrr

scantily clad ladies wiggling their bums on the screen at you per-chance?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Drs appt. booked for this arvo – will let you know the outcome

lipseal
    Free Member

I'll be interested!

monkeyp

I have some Ergons for sale if you want to try them – they have been used and show some signs of wear and tear. They are the ones with the micro bar end incorporated into them. I think they are great but have just upgraded to the carbon version as they are quite heavy.

They take some time to set up right and to get used to, but once sorted are excellent and solved my hand numbness even on my fully rigid bike. I now have them on all of my bikes.

mail me at andrew.c.pettifer@googlemail.com if you're interested

racing_ralph
    Free Member

£?

Chew
    Free Member

I've had similar issues.

Found the pain eases and has gone for now, just by changing my hand position of the bars as often as i can. 15 min on bar ends, 15 min on edges on grips, 15 min on inner edges of grips, 15 min on the bars.

Seems to be fixing it for now.

monkeyp

I think they were about £36 new, as I say, the bar end is a bit scuffed (only cosmetic) and the grip is clearly used but functionally they are unaffected. They are the Ergon GC2.

Hows about £12.50 posted?

Can you mail me if you are interested rather than do this over the forum – cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have some Ergons for sale if you want to try them

I wouldn't if I were you. I had carpal tunnel problems on my right hand 13,14 years ago, and had it fixed. I used Ergons for the Trans Wales 2 years ago and the same hand went numb down the little finger side and it took months to go away again. That's the last time I'll ever use the damned things.

lipseal
    Free Member

Chew do you have an egg timer fitted then? 😉

Who ever mentioned bar ends shall be flogged! 😛

BTW I use bar ends but don't tell anyone. Shhhhhh

goog
    Free Member

its prolly your bingo wings that are causing the trouble

racing_ralph
    Free Member

you replied to rob not your gf goog, dumbass!

goog
    Free Member

btw you're dead when she reads this 8)

hora
    Free Member

You know….when your out on your bike and experience this 'tingling/numbness' you could always slide your hand down your pants and pretend its someone else on the trails that you've just met..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just been to the Drs. Blamed it on using my laptop, exacerbated by cycling. The pain originates from looking dwon instead of eyes forwards and typing whilst resting wrists. Hyperextension of the wrists when typing (and biking when being lazy and resting on hands) is the main factor.

Lots of stretching to do and research of the "alexander technique"?

showerman
    Free Member

thats the five finger shuffle you do on the laptop thats causing you the pain, theirs me riding a childs bike ( your comment not mine)and get no problems that 18" must be a right old barge for you

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i said you rode that child like a bike!!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Help me – hand pain numbness when riding :(’ is closed to new replies.